1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial differentiation and partial derivatives

1. Feb 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If ##xs^2 + yt^2 = 1## (1) and ##x^2s + y^2t = xy - 4,## (2) find ##\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}, \frac{\partial x}{\partial t}, \frac{\partial y}{\partial s}, \frac{\partial y}{\partial t}## at ##(x,y,s,t) = (1,-3,2,-1)##.

2. Relevant equations

Pretty much those just listed above.

3. The attempt at a solution

Alright so I spent quite a while on this one. First of all, I took the differentials of both the equations, (1) and (2), and came up with $$s^2\,dx + 2sx\,ds + t^2\,dy + 2ty\,dt = 0 $$ for (1) and $$ 2xs\,dx + x^2\,ds + 2yt\,dy + y^2\,dt = y\,dx + x\,dy$$ for (2).

Then, substituting in ##(x,y,s,t) = (1,-3,2,-1)## for the respective variables I came up with $$4\,dx + 4\,ds + \,dy + 6\,dt = 0 $$ for (1) and $$4\,dx + \,ds + 6\,dy + 9\,dt = -3\,dx + \,dy$$ for (2).

Simplifying and moving things around a bit, I got $$ 4\,dx + 4\,ds = -\,dy - 6\,dt $$ for (1) and $$ 7\,dx + \,ds = -5\,dy - 9\,dt $$ for (2).

Then I used Cramer's Rule to solve these two equations for ##\,dx## and ##\,ds.##. For ##\,dx## I got $$ \,dx = \frac{
    \begin{vmatrix}
    -\,dy - 6\,dt & 4 \\
    -5\,dy - 9\,dt & 1
    \end{vmatrix}
    }{
    \begin{vmatrix}
    4 & 4 \\
    7 & 1
    \end{vmatrix}
    }

= \frac{-\,dy - 6\,dt + 4(5\,dy + 9\,dt)}{-24} = \frac{-\,dy - 6\,dt + 20\,dy + 36\,dt}{-24} = \frac{19\,dy + 30\,dt}{-24} = \frac{-19\,dy - 30\,dt}{24}$$

$$ \,ds = \frac{
    \begin{vmatrix}
    4 & -\,dy - 6\,dt \\
    7 & -5\,dy - 9\,dt
    \end{vmatrix}
    }{
    \begin{vmatrix}
    4 & 4 \\
    7 & 1
    \end{vmatrix}
    } = \frac{4(-5\,dy - 9\,dt) + 7(\,dy + 6\,dt)}{-24} = \frac{-20\,dy - 36\,dt + 7\,dy + 42\,dt}{-24} = \frac{-13\,dy + 6\,dt}{-24} = \frac{13\,dy - 6\,dt}{24}.
    $$

Then I changed the equations around to $$\,dy + 6\,dt = -4\,dx - 4\,ds$$ for (1) and $$5\,dy + 9\,dt = -7\,dx - \,ds$$ for (2). Using Cramer's Rule again to solve for ##\,dy## and ##\,dt## I got
    $$\,dy = \frac{-6\,dx + 30\,ds}{21}$$
    $$\,dt = \frac{-13\,dx - 19\,ds}{21}.$$

Then I wanted to find ##\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}##, so I took what I got for ##\,dy## and ##\,dt## plugged it into (1), ##4\,dx + 4\,ds + \,dy + 6\,dt = 0,## and got $$4\,dx + 4\,ds + \frac{-6\,dx + 30\,ds}{21} + 6(\frac{-13\,dx - 19\,ds}{21}) = 0.$$ Multiplying this all out, everything just cancels to zero and I can't find ##\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}##. I've checked the math for the applications of Cramer's Rule and can't find anything wrong there, so... what am I doing wrong?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I cannot understand what you are trying to do, or why you want to do it. The easiest way is just to differentiate directly. Letting ##x_s = \partial x/\partial s##, etc, we have:
    [tex] (1) \Longrightarrow s^2 x_s + 2 s x + t^2 y_s = 0 \\
    (2) \Longrightarrow x^2 + 2 s x x_s + 2 t y y_s = x y_s + y x_s
    [/tex]
    which you can solve for ##x_s,y_s##. It is much easier if you first substitute in the numerical values of ##x,y,s,t##.

4. Feb 24, 2014 #3
    As in solve for ##y_s## in (1) and then plug that value for ##y_s## into (2)?

Edit: Also, I know that the answer for ##\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}## is ##\frac{-19}{13}##

5. Feb 24, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have two equations in the two unknowns ##x_s, y_s##, and these equations are linear in these unknowns. They happen to be nonlinear in ##s,t,x,y##, but that does not matter, since we are already given numerical values for them. The things we don't know are ##x_s, y_s## and ##x_t,y_t##.

6. Feb 24, 2014 #5
    Yeah, I just did it that way and got the right answer. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted