How to Simplify the Derivative of sqrt(x/y) + sqrt(y/x)?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter yourmom98
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Simplifying
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
yourmom98
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
okay I am supposed to prove the derivative of: sqrt x/y + sqrt y/x
is equal to y/x

okay I am stuck where i have finally isolated y' i don't know how to reduce it further I am stuck with this at the moment (see attachment)
can you please tell me the process you went through to simplify it?
 
Attachments
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    354 bytes · Views: 517
Physics news on Phys.org
It's better if you write out the equation is expanded form:

[tex]\frac{\frac{1}{\sqrt{xy}} - \frac{\sqrt{y}}{x^\frac{3}{2}}}{\frac{\sqrt{x}}{y^\frac{3}{2}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{xy}}}[/tex]Doing a couple of simplifying operations

[tex]\frac{\frac{\sqrt{xy}}{xy} - \frac{\sqrt{y}}{x^\frac{3}{2}}}{\frac{\sqrt{x}}{y^\frac{3}{2}} - \frac{\sqrt{xy}}{xy}}[/tex]

We try to match the denominators

[tex]\frac{\frac{\sqrt{x}\sqrt{xy}}{x^\frac{3}{2}y} - \frac{y\sqrt{y}}{yx^\frac{3}{2}}}{\frac{x\sqrt{x}}{xy^\frac{3}{2}} - \frac{\sqrt{y}\sqrt{xy}}{xy^\frac{3}{2}}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\frac{x-y}{\sqrt{y}x^\frac{3}{2}}}{\frac{x-y}{\sqrt{x}y^\frac{3}{2}}}[/tex]

.
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{xy^3}}{\sqrt{yx^3}}[/tex]
 
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{xy^3}}{\sqrt{yx^3}}[/tex]
[tex]= \sqrt{\frac{xy^3}{yx^3}[/tex]
[tex]= \sqrt{\frac{y^2}{x^2}} = \frac{y}{x}[/tex]