How to Simplify the Solution of y' = 6y ln(y)/x?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
Saladsamurai
Messages
3,009
Reaction score
7
Solve:

[tex]y' = 6\frac{y\ln y}{x}[/tex]

After separation and integration, I got

[tex]\ln[\ln y] = 6\ln x + c_1[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \ln y = e^{\ln x^6 + c_1}[/tex]

I am not sure how to get this into an explicit form for y, without it getting nasty. I know that there is usually a trick to make it look cleaner.

Any thoughts?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
On a whim, I let [itex]c_1 = \ln c_2[/itex] and good things happen! I get,

[tex]y = e^{\frac{x^6}{c_2}}[/tex]
 
Acutally, if you let [itex]c_1= ln(c_2)[/itex] then you would have [itex]ln(x^6)+ c_1= ln(x^6)+ ln(c_2)= ln(c_2x^6)[/itex] so that
[tex]ln(y)= e^{ln(c_2x^6)}= c_2x^6[/tex]
and
[tex]y= e^{c_2x^6}[/tex].

That is, [itex]c_2[/itex] is multiplying [itex]x^6[/itex], not dividing it. But since it is simply an arbitrary constant, it really does not matter.
 
Oops! It was a summation of logs! Not a difference ... Nice catch Halls! :smile: