How to size a power supply for x-y stage?

In summary: If you have 3 phase 400VAC you can probably just rectify that with three diodes and storage capacitance to produce a 325VDC rail. Regulation is probably not needed for the motor supply.
El Moriana
I have a couple of linear motors + their drivers and I'm trying to make an X-Y stage for a prototype milling machine, but I'm still a student and in a mecheng stream and haven't sized a power supply before, so not sure how to do it. So far this is my thought process:

Motor specs: 340VDC (max bus voltage), 4.5A continuous current
Driver specs: 24-80VDC, 1A max

Two of each.

Method 1
I simply do a P=Ʃn.IV calculation (n is quantity) and then size it using total watts and spec it through max voltage and max current? This method seems like overkill..

Method 2
Use the force I need this thing to exert to get needed power, then pick values of voltage and current that give this power and that are lower than the maxes. Use these P, V and I values to spec the supply?
(if this one is correct, how do you decide on what the voltage and the current are?)

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Calculation is based on maximum currents and voltages, not mechanical work that will be done.
Mechanical work was taken into account when specifying the motors.

The particular practical solution will depend on the details of the AC supplies available and the isolation requirements of the DC rails needed.

If you have 3 phase 400VAC you can probably just rectify that with three diodes and storage capacitance to produce a 325VDC rail. Regulation is probably not needed for the motor supply. The rectified DC appears relative to the neutral of the 3 phase supply. 4.5A x 2 = 9A continuous. 30A diodes rated at 800V are cheap.

If 24VDC is sufficient for the controller then any 24VDC switch-mode power supply capable of delivering 2 Amps will satisfy the controllers. DIN rail mounting supplies are available with either 24VDC or 48VDC outputs. They will meet your requirements.

You need to account for the startup current and stall current if you want the system to be safe.

meBigGuy said:
You need to account for the startup current and stall current if you want the system to be safe.
The motor controllers should be using something like an H-bridge to efficiently drive the inductive DC motors. The controller should limit the motor current to protect it's H-bridge switches and the motor. Most controllers will have a programmable or physically adjustable current limit.

The controller current limiting effectively protects the power supply, the H-bridge and the motor.

I would suggest using Method 2 to size the power supply for your X-Y stage. This method takes into account the specific force requirements of your milling machine, rather than just using a generic calculation based on the motor and driver specs.

To determine the force needed for your X-Y stage, you will need to consider the weight of the prototype milling machine, the materials being milled, and the desired speed and accuracy of the stage. Once you have determined the necessary force, you can use the equation P=Fv (power equals force times velocity) to calculate the required power for your stage.

Next, you will need to choose a voltage and current that will provide the necessary power while also staying within the maximum voltage and current limits of your motor and driver. This will require some trial and error, as you may need to adjust the voltage and current values until you find a combination that meets the power and limit requirements.

In terms of deciding on the specific voltage and current values, you may want to consult with a more experienced engineer or refer to similar projects or equipment for guidance. Additionally, you may want to consider using a power supply with adjustable voltage and current settings to give you more flexibility in finding the optimal values for your X-Y stage.

Overall, it is important to carefully consider the specific needs and limitations of your project when sizing a power supply, rather than relying on a generic calculation. With Method 2, you can ensure that your power supply is tailored to the specific requirements of your X-Y stage, leading to optimal performance and efficiency.

1. What factors should be considered when sizing a power supply for an x-y stage?

When sizing a power supply for an x-y stage, it is important to consider the voltage and current requirements of the stage, as well as any additional components that may be connected to the power supply. The type of motion and load on the stage should also be taken into account, as well as any safety requirements or regulations.

2. How do I determine the required voltage for an x-y stage power supply?

The required voltage for an x-y stage power supply can be determined by checking the specifications of the stage and any other connected components. It is important to ensure that the voltage is within the operating range of the stage and that it can provide enough power for the load and motion of the stage.

3. What is the difference between continuous and peak current for a power supply?

Continuous current refers to the amount of current that a power supply can consistently deliver over a long period of time, while peak current refers to the maximum amount of current that a power supply can deliver for a short period of time. When sizing a power supply for an x-y stage, it is important to consider both continuous and peak current requirements to ensure that the power supply can handle the load and motion of the stage.

4. Can a power supply be shared between multiple x-y stages?

It is possible to share a power supply between multiple x-y stages, but it is important to consider the total power requirements of all the stages to ensure that the power supply can provide enough voltage and current for all of them. It may also be necessary to use a power supply with multiple outputs or to use a power distribution system to properly distribute the power to each stage.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when sizing a power supply for an x-y stage?

Yes, it is important to follow all safety precautions when sizing a power supply for an x-y stage. This includes ensuring that the power supply is properly grounded, using the correct voltage and current levels, and following any safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain the power supply to ensure safe and reliable operation.