How to Solve a Differential Equation Involving Pressure and Velocity?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
17 replies · 3K views
fysiikka111
Messages
41
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


[tex]\frac{dp}{dz}=\mu_{o}\frac{du}{dr}\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dr}(r \frac{du}{dr})[/tex]


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


Multiply by r, and then integrate with respect to r to get:
[tex]\frac{dp}{dz}\frac{r^{2}}{2}+C_{1}=\mu_{o}ur \frac{du}{dr}[/tex]
Divide by r and integrate again:
[tex]\frac{dp}{dz}\frac{r^{2}}{4}+C_{1}ln(r)+C_{2}=\mu_{o}u^{2}[/tex]
Are those steps correct? Especially, is the first integration done correctly?
Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
No, it's not correct. To solve this differential eq. change to variable x = ln r.
 
praharmitra said:
No, it's not correct. To solve this differential eq. change to variable x = ln r.

Thanks for replying. Do you mean if x=ln r, then subsitute r=ex into the equation?
 
yes. Another thing I wanted to ask - Is [tex]\frac{dp}{dz}[/tex] a constant? or atleast independent of r?
 
praharmitra said:
yes. Another thing I wanted to ask - Is [tex]\frac{dp}{dz}[/tex] a constant? or atleast independent of r?

Yes, its independent of r. May I ask which part of my first solution was incorrect? Thanks.
 
Well, if I understood what you wrote correctly, then you are saying

[tex] \int r\frac{dp}{dx} dr = \int \mu_0\frac{du}{dr} \frac{d}{dr}\left(r\frac{du}{dr}\right)dr[/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow \frac{r^2}{2}\frac{dp}{dx}+C = \int \mu_0\frac{d}{dr}\left(r\frac{du}{dr}\right)du[/tex]

I don't see how you went from the RHS here to the RHS you have written
 
praharmitra said:
Well, if I understood what you wrote correctly, then you are saying

[tex] \int r\frac{dp}{dx} dr = \int \mu_0\frac{du}{dr} \frac{d}{dr}\left(r\frac{du}{dr}\right)dr[/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow \frac{r^2}{2}\frac{dp}{dx}+C = \int \mu_0\frac{d}{dr}\left(r\frac{du}{dr}\right)du[/tex]

I don't see how you went from the RHS here to the RHS you have written

I see what I did wrong; I canceled both of the dr's when I integrated.
[tex]\frac{dp}{dz}=\mu_{o} \frac{du}{de^{x}} \frac{1}{e^{x}} \frac{d}{de^{x}}(e^{x} \frac{du}{de^{x}})[/tex]
How would you go about rearranging it now into a function of u? Don't need to show latex, just need a hint. Thanks.
 
praharmitra said:
Use [tex]de^x = e^x dx[/tex]

Is this correct?
[tex]\frac{dp}{dz} = \mu_{o} \frac{1}{e^{x}} \frac{du}{dx} \frac{d}{dx} (\frac{du}{dx}) = \frac{\mu_{o}}{de^{x}}du \frac{d}{dx}(\frac{du}{dx})[/tex]
 
fysiikka111 said:
Is this correct?
[tex]\frac{dp}{dz} = \mu_{o} \frac{1}{e^{x}} \frac{du}{dx} \frac{d}{dx} (\frac{du}{dx}) = \frac{\mu_{o}}{de^{x}}du \frac{d}{dx}(\frac{du}{dx})[/tex]

No, it should be

[tex]\frac{dp}{dz} = \mu_0 \frac{1}{e^{3x}} \frac{du}{dx} \frac{d}{dx} (\frac{du}{dx})[/tex]
 
praharmitra said:
No, it should be

[tex]\frac{dp}{dz} = \mu_0 \frac{1}{e^{3x}} \frac{du}{dx} \frac{d}{dx} (\frac{du}{dx})[/tex]

I've ended up with:
[tex]u^{2}\mu_{o} = \frac{dp}{dz} \frac{x^{3}}{6}e^{3x} + C_{1}\frac{x^{2}}{2}e^{3x} + C_{2}xe^{3x} + C_{3}[/tex]
Is that right? Can I say that e3x=r3? Though I don't believe this is the way its meant to be done as it is unsolvable with three constants. Thanks a lot for your help.
 
No you should have only 2 constants. Show me what you have done, I'll tell you where you went wrong
 
Last edited:
If dp/dz is independent of r, then I suggest multiplying by r2 to get:

[tex]r^2\,\frac{dp}{dz}\,dr=\mu_{o}\frac{du}{dr}\frac{r^2}{r}\frac{d}{dr}(r \frac{du}{dr})dr=\mu_{o}r\,\frac{du}{dr}\,d(r \frac{du}{dr})[/tex]

Integrate both sides to get:

[tex]\frac{r^3}{3}\frac{dp}{dz}+C=\mu_{0}\,\frac{1}{2}\left(r \frac{du}{dr}\right)^2[/tex]
 
praharmitra said:
No you should have only 2 constants. Show me what you have done, I'll tell you where you went wrong

[tex]\begin{multline*}\frac{dp}{dz} = \mu_0 \frac{1}{e^{3x}} \frac{du}{dx} \frac{d}{dx} (\frac{du}{dx})\\<br /> \frac{dp}{dz}x + C_{1} = \mu_0 \frac{1}{e^{3x}} u \frac{d}{dx}(\frac{du}{dx})\\ \frac{dp}{dz} \frac{x^{2}}{2} + C_{1}x + C_{2} = \mu_{o} \frac{1}{e^{3x}}u \frac{du}{dx}\\<br /> u^{2}\mu_{o} = \frac{dp}{dz} \frac{x^{3}}{6}e^{3x} + C_{1}\frac{x^{2}}{2}e^{3x} + C_{2}xe^{3x} + C_{3}\end{multline*}[/tex]
Thanks
 
No, you have got several things wrong. Here is how it would go

[tex] \frac{dp}{dz} = \frac{\mu_0}{e^{3x}}\frac{du}{dx}\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{du}{dx}\right)[/tex]
[tex] \frac{dp}{dz}\int e^{3x}dx = \mu_0\int\frac{du}{dx}d\left(\frac{du}{dx}\right)[/tex]
Now if we call [itex]y = \frac{du}{dx}[/itex]. This reads
[tex] \frac{dp}{dz}\int e^{3x}dx = \mu_0\int ydy \Rightarrow \frac{dp}{dz}\frac{e^{3x}}{3} = \mu_0 \frac{y^2}{2} = \frac{\mu_0}{2}\left(\frac{du}{dx}\right)^2+C_1[/tex]

Thus

[tex] \frac{du}{dx} = \left[\frac{2}{\mu_0}\left(\frac{dp}{dz}\frac{e^{3x}}{3}-C_1\right)\right]^{1/2}[/tex]

Now you can solve this?
 
praharmitra said:
No, you have got several things wrong. Here is how it would go

[tex] \frac{dp}{dz} = \frac{\mu_0}{e^{3x}}\frac{du}{dx}\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{du}{dx}\right)[/tex]
[tex] \frac{dp}{dz}\int e^{3x}dx = \mu_0\int\frac{du}{dx}d\left(\frac{du}{dx}\right)[/tex]
Now if we call [itex]y = \frac{du}{dx}[/itex]. This reads
[tex] \frac{dp}{dz}\int e^{3x}dx = \mu_0\int ydy \Rightarrow \frac{dp}{dz}\frac{e^{3x}}{3} = \mu_0 \frac{y^2}{2} = \frac{\mu_0}{2}\left(\frac{du}{dx}\right)^2+C_1[/tex]

Thus

[tex] \frac{du}{dx} = \left[\frac{2}{\mu_0}\left(\frac{dp}{dz}\frac{e^{3x}}{3}-C_1\right)\right]^{1/2}[/tex]

Now you can solve this?

Right, thanks.
If [itex]v = w^{3/2}[/itex], where [itex]w = \frac{2}{\mu_0}\left(\frac{dp}{dz}\frac{e^{3x}}{3}-C_1)[/itex], then with chain rule
[tex]\frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{w^{1/2}e^{3x}}{\mu_{o}}\frac{dp}{dz}[/tex]
Hence
[tex]\int\frac{dv}{dx}dx = w^{3/2} + C_{2}\rightarrow \int w^{1/2}dx = \frac{\mu_{o}}{e^{3x}\frac{dp}{dz}}(w^{3/2}+C_{2}) = u[/tex]
Would [itex]e^{3x}=r^{3}[/itex]?
 
SammyS said:
If dp/dz is independent of r, then I suggest multiplying by r2 to get:
...
I probably should have written the following as the result:

[tex]r^2\,\frac{dp}{dz}=\mu_{o}\frac{du}{dr}\frac{r^2}{r}\frac{d}{dr}\left(r \frac{du}{dr}\right)[/tex]

Integrating with respect to r gives:

[tex]\int{r^2\,\frac{dp}{dz}}\,dr=\int{\mu_{o}\frac{du}{dr}\frac{r ^2}{r}\frac{d}{dr}\left(r \frac{du}{dr}\right)}dr[/tex]
[tex]=\int\mu_{o}r\,\frac{du}{dr}\,d\left(r \frac{du}{dr}\right)[/tex]​


[tex]\frac{r^3}{3}\frac{dp}{dz}+C_1=\mu_{0}\,\frac{1}{2}\left(r \frac{du}{dr}\right)^2[/tex]

This can be solved for du/dr & integrated, to find u.
 
Last edited:
SammyS said:
I probably should have written the following as the result:

[tex]r^2\,\frac{dp}{dz}=\mu_{o}\frac{du}{dr}\frac{r^2}{r}\frac{d}{dr}\left(r \frac{du}{dr}\right)[/tex]

Integrating with respect to r gives:

[tex]\int{r^2\,\frac{dp}{dz}}\,dr=\int{\mu_{o}\frac{du}{dr}\frac{r ^2}{r}\frac{d}{dr}\left(r \frac{du}{dr}\right)}dr[/tex]
[tex]=\int\mu_{o}r\,\frac{du}{dr}\,d\left(r \frac{du}{dr}\right)[/tex]​


[tex]\frac{r^3}{3}\frac{dp}{dz}+C_1=\mu_{0}\,\frac{1}{2}\left(r \frac{du}{dr}\right)^2[/tex]

This can be solved for du/dr & integrated, to find u.

Thanks a lot, that's a good method.