How to solve an integral of a gaussian distribution

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
DragonPetter
Messages
831
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


integrate

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty\! e ^{(x-a)^{2}}\, dx[/tex]

Homework Equations



[tex]\int \! e^u\, du = e^u + C[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


i just know that du = 2(x-a), but there is no x to make use of substitution, so I am confused on how to go about solving this since I cannot use substitution
 
Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT: I'm assuming you mean
[tex] \int_{-\infty}^\infty\! e ^{-(x-a)^{2}}\, dx[/tex]​
since what you wrote doesn't converge.Anyway, this is a very tricky integral that requires a trick. By far the best way starts as follows:

First, letting I denote the original integral (after replacing x-a with x), notice that
[tex]I = 2\int_{0}^\infty\! e ^{-x^{2}}\, dx[/tex]​
by symmetry. Next comes the first trick:
[tex]I^2 = 4 \int_{0}^\infty\! e ^{-x^{2}}\, dx \int_{0}^\infty\! e ^{-x^{2}}\, dx = 4 \int_{0}^\infty\! e ^{-x^{2}}\, dx \int_{0}^\infty\! e ^{-y^{2}}\, dy[/tex]​
since the x in the integral is just a dummy variable. But then
[tex]I^2 = 4\int_0^\infty\int_0^\infty\! e ^{-(x^{2}+y^{2})}\,dx\,dy.[/tex]​

The traditional method is to at this point switch to polar coordinates, but a better way (I think) involves the substitution y=xu (so dy=xdu):
[tex]I^2 = 4\int_0^\infty\int_0^\infty\! e^{-x^2(1+u^2)}x\,dx\,du.[/tex]​
From here, I think you should be able to figure this out on your own.
 
hmm my textbook is certainly not nice as it leaves this as an exercise with just telling me "(look up any integrals you need)"
and yes, i forgot to include the - sign for the exponential
 
DragonPetter said:
hmm my textbook is certainly not nice as it leaves this as an exercise with just telling me "(look up any integrals you need)"

That's weird.
 
On a wild hunch: this seems to be a traditional type problem in a first mathematical stat or calc-based probability course. If you've seen this (normal density integrating to 1)

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac 1 {\sqrt{2\pi} \sigma} e^{-\frac{(x-\mu)^2}{\sigma^2}} \, dx = 1[/tex]

the "trick" is to identify your integrand as part of some normal density and go from there.

of course, the item i have posted could be what the hint "look up any integrals needed" refers to as well.
 
statdad said:
[tex] \int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac 1 {\sqrt{2\pi} \sigma} e^{-\frac{(x-\mu)^2}{\sigma^2}} \, dx = 1[/tex]

You mean
[tex] \int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac 1 {\sqrt{2\pi} \sigma} e^{-\frac{(x-\mu)^2}{2\sigma^2}} \, dx = 1[/tex]​
of course
 
foxjwill said:
You mean
[tex] \int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac 1 {\sqrt{2\pi} \sigma} e^{-\frac{(x-\mu)^2}{2\sigma^2}} \, dx = 1[/tex]​
of course

Yes - many thanks for correcting my typing, and more for possibly clearing up a problem for the original poster.