1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve an integral of a gaussian distribution

1. Aug 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    integrate

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty\! e ^{(x-a)^{2}}\, dx[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\int \! e^u\, du = e^u + C[/tex]
    3. The attempt at a solution
    i just know that du = 2(x-a), but there is no x to make use of substitution, so I am confused on how to go about solving this since I cannot use substitution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2009 #2
    EDIT: I'm assuming you mean
    [tex]
    \int_{-\infty}^\infty\! e ^{-(x-a)^{2}}\, dx
    [/tex]​
    since what you wrote doesn't converge.

Anyway, this is a very tricky integral that requires a trick. By far the best way starts as follows:

First, letting I denote the original integral (after replacing x-a with x), notice that
    [tex]I = 2\int_{0}^\infty\! e ^{-x^{2}}\, dx[/tex]​
    by symmetry. Next comes the first trick:
    [tex]I^2 = 4 \int_{0}^\infty\! e ^{-x^{2}}\, dx \int_{0}^\infty\! e ^{-x^{2}}\, dx = 4 \int_{0}^\infty\! e ^{-x^{2}}\, dx \int_{0}^\infty\! e ^{-y^{2}}\, dy[/tex]​
    since the x in the integral is just a dummy variable. But then
    [tex]I^2 = 4\int_0^\infty\int_0^\infty\! e ^{-(x^{2}+y^{2})}\,dx\,dy.[/tex]​

The traditional method is to at this point switch to polar coordinates, but a better way (I think) involves the substitution y=xu (so dy=xdu):
    [tex]I^2 = 4\int_0^\infty\int_0^\infty\! e^{-x^2(1+u^2)}x\,dx\,du.[/tex]​
    From here, I think you should be able to figure this out on your own.

4. Aug 20, 2009 #3
    hmm my text book is certainly not nice as it leaves this as an exercise with just telling me "(look up any integrals you need)"
    and yes, i forgot to include the - sign for the exponential

5. Aug 20, 2009 #4
    That's wierd.

6. Aug 21, 2009 #5

statdad

Homework Helper

On a wild hunch: this seems to be a traditional type problem in a first mathematical stat or calc-based probability course. If you've seen this (normal density integrating to 1)

[tex]
    \int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac 1 {\sqrt{2\pi} \sigma} e^{-\frac{(x-\mu)^2}{\sigma^2}} \, dx = 1
    [/tex]

the "trick" is to identify your integrand as part of some normal density and go from there.

of course, the item i have posted could be what the hint "look up any integrals needed" refers to as well.

7. Aug 21, 2009 #6
    You mean
    [tex]
    \int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac 1 {\sqrt{2\pi} \sigma} e^{-\frac{(x-\mu)^2}{2\sigma^2}} \, dx = 1
    [/tex]​
    of course

8. Aug 22, 2009 #7

statdad

Homework Helper

Yes - many thanks for correcting my typing, and more for possibly clearing up a problem for the original poster.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook