1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve for final velocity of object pushed by spring using concept of engergy

1. Oct 25, 2006 #1
    Here is the given problem:

[​IMG]

Here is my incorrect solution:

[​IMG]

Why should distance even matter for the final velocity in this problem since once the spring is uncompressed, the cart will continue at a steady velocity forever since there is no friction or air resistance?

The answer for (a) is 1.47 m/s, and the answer for (b) is 1.35 m/s. Again, why would the velocity be less for part (b) when there is no energy loss from either friction or air resistance?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2006 #2
    Because the problem says that the glider is attatched to the spring.

4. Oct 25, 2006 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I think you have an incorrect mental picture of the system. The glider is attached to a spring which, in turn, is fixed to some point on the track (or attached to a wall, for instance). So, once the glider passes the unstretched position, the spring starts pulling instead of pushing, thus slowing the glider.

5. Oct 25, 2006 #4
    Ok, I was thinking the spring (which is attached to the glider) was compressed then allowed to push off of a wall and push the glider and spring backwards.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?