How to solve for v_o of this weighted summer circuit?

  • Topic: Engineering 
  • Thread starter Thread starter dla
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Circuit Summer
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
dla
Messages
27
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I am trying to derive the expression for v_o for this weighted summer circuit. I've attached the circuit diagram.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I get that the first op-amp output is just the total current x R_a, and then you take that output and find the current of R_b + current of v_3/R_3 and v_4/R_4 and multply all that by R_c to get the v_o, this is what I got

[itex]\huge<br /> v_{o} = \frac{v_{1} R_{a}}{R_{1}}\frac{R_{c}}{R_{b}} +\frac{v_{2} R_{a}}{R_{2}}\frac{R_{c}}{R_{b}} + \frac{v_{3} R_{c}} {R_{3}} +\frac{v_{4} R_{c}} {R_{4}}[/itex]

However the answer says that the last two terms are negative, how come?

[itex]\huge v_{o} = \frac{v_{1} R_{a}}{R_{1}}\frac{R_{c}}{R_{b}} +\frac{v_{2} R_{a}}{R_{2}}\frac{R_{c}}{R_{b}} -\frac{v_{3} R_{c}} {R_{3}} -\frac{v_{4} R_{c}} {R_{4}}[/itex]
 
Attachments
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    4.6 KB · Views: 661
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dla said:
I get that the first op-amp output is just the total current x R_a

output = -1[/size]x(total current x R_a)

The input goes to each OP_AMP's inverting input
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person