How to Solve ODEs with Complex Coefficients Numerically?

In summary: The main differences will be in the way you obtain derivatives and in the possible use of complex initial conditions. In summary, the individual asking the question is wondering if they can apply IMSL ODE routines with their complex coefficients and how to implement the Runge-Kutta method for equations with complex coefficients. They are also seeking recommendations for other accessible solvers or packages for this problem. The expert responds by saying that there is no need to change the Runge-Kutta method and that as long as complex number arithmetic is used, the algorithm should work just as well with complex numbers. The main differences will be in obtaining derivatives and using complex initial conditions.
Massimo33
Hello,

I have a nonlinear ODE with complex coefficients and need to solve it numerically. In general, I even understand what method I am going to use but how to develop the method for such kind of equations. Many packages (e.g. IMSL) or solver have routines to deal with the complex variables but I am not sure about the routines for ODE solving. So my question is, first, is it possible to apply IMSL ODE routines in that case keeping in mind, my coefficients are not elementary or transcendental functions but user defined one (some array, actually)? And second, how to implement such kind of things "by hands", e.g. If I need to implement Runge-Kutta method for an equation with complex coefficients, how to do it because I know the algorithm, I understand how to do it for real variables and coefficients but the complex case seems to be difficult. And any advice or recommendations about using some other (accessible) solvers or packages for this problem.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or help

Physics news on Phys.org
I can see no reason why you would need to change "Runge-Kutta" at all. The algorithm does not assume real coefficients. As long as you are careful to use complex number arithmetic, the algorithm should work just as well with complex numbers as with real numbers.

1. What is an ODE with complex coefficients?

An ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) with complex coefficients is a differential equation that involves complex numbers in its coefficients. This means that the coefficients of the equation are complex numbers, which have a real and imaginary part. This type of ODE is commonly used in physics and engineering to model systems with oscillatory behavior.

2. How is an ODE with complex coefficients solved?

The process for solving an ODE with complex coefficients is similar to solving a regular ODE. The only difference is that the solutions will involve complex numbers. The most common method for solving these types of equations is by using the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of variation of parameters.

3. What are the applications of ODEs with complex coefficients?

ODEs with complex coefficients have many applications in physics and engineering. They are used to model systems with oscillatory behavior, such as electrical circuits, mechanical systems, and chemical reactions. They are also used in signal processing, control systems, and quantum mechanics.

4. Can ODEs with complex coefficients have real solutions?

Yes, ODEs with complex coefficients can have real solutions. The real solutions are obtained by taking the real part of the complex solution. This is because the solutions to these equations always come in pairs, with one solution being the complex conjugate of the other. So, by taking the real part, we can obtain a real solution.

5. What are the advantages of using complex coefficients in ODEs?

The use of complex coefficients in ODEs allows for a more accurate representation of physical systems, especially those with oscillatory behavior. It also allows for a more efficient and elegant solution of certain equations. In addition, complex coefficients can help in simplifying certain ODEs and make them easier to solve.