1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How to solve this system of equations of trig functions

1. Jan 9, 2017 #1
    upload_2017-1-9_11-53-25.png
    upload_2017-1-9_11-53-33.png

I've written it out and it seems impossible. I get -50(sin^2(alpha)) = 86.63 cos(alpha) sin(alpha) - 6.54. Where would I go from there?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

Assuming the first term is ## (75 cos(\alpha))t ## and not ## 75 cos(\alpha t) ##, the equation is a quadratic in t, and has a completely separate solution from ## t=1.155/( sin(\alpha)) ##. If the second case is indeed what is asked for, the solution is non-trivial, and a numeric solution, e.g. by graphing a couple of the terms and finding where they intersect, would be in order.

4. Jan 9, 2017 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There is an analytic solution. Based on your current progress: Replace the cosine using the sine, then simplify. You'll get a quadratic equation to solve (with a small trick involved).

5. Jan 9, 2017 #4

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, you can rewrite it as:

[itex]86.63 cos(\alpha) sin(\alpha) = 6.54 - 50(sin^2(\alpha))[/itex]

You can rewrite [itex]cos(\alpha) = \sqrt{1-sin^2(\alpha)}[/itex] to get an equation only involving [itex]sin(\alpha)[/itex]. Alternatively, you could use the double-angle formulas:

[itex]sin(2 \alpha) = 2 sin(\alpha) cos(\alpha)[/itex]
    [itex]cos(2 \alpha) = 1 - 2 sin^2(\alpha)[/itex]

6. Jan 9, 2017 #5

Charles Link

Homework Helper

My mistake, I overlooked the solution that @mfb is referring to. It's essentially two equations and two unknowns.

7. Jan 9, 2017 #6
    This is going way over my head. Could you elaborate?

I tried using the double angle formula with sin(2 alpha) but I'm still stuck after that.

8. Jan 9, 2017 #7

Charles Link

Homework Helper

When you substitute with ## cos(\alpha)=\sqrt{1-sin^2(\alpha)} ## , you then square both sides of the equation and get a quadratic equation in ## u=sin^2(\alpha) ##. (It is actually 4th power in ## sin(\alpha) ## , but there is no ## sin^3(\alpha) ## term and no ## sin(\alpha) ## term=it is quadratic in ## sin^2(\alpha) ##.

9. Jan 10, 2017 #8
    Thank you!! I got it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted