How to specify carbon fibre material properties in ANSYS ACP

In summary, when working with carbon fiber material, it is important to consider its highly directional properties. This can be achieved by orienting the fibers in the desired direction and using layered composite elements in ANSYS for analysis. Suppliers can also be consulted for specific engineering data on carbon fiber material properties.
Jason Clark
Hey there, my honours year thesis is on the design and analysis of a carbon fibre wheel for a Formula Student racecar. However, I am unable to obtain carbon fibre material properties to input into the Engineering Data section. I am required to specify the Youngs Modulus in the x, y and z directions and the Poisson's Ratio and Shear Modulus in the XY, YZ and XZ directions. However, I cannot find any data for carbon fibre that specifies these properties in each direction - all I can find is a single tensile modulus value for the fibre. Does anyone know how to find these properties in each direction for carbon fibre?

Many thanks
Jason

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Jason,

Like any "fiber", carbon fiber material is going to be highly directional in its material properties. In fact, a quick glance online shows that you can buy carbon fiber with different fiber arrangements: http://oribimanufacturing.com/uni-directional-vs-woven/. I'm guessing you'll want to orient your fibers along the radius of the wheel, and have it configured in a primarily tensile stress configuration? If you're doing this, maybe you can still get meaningful information out of your simulations by putting the fiber tensile strength in for one of the young's modulus dimensions, and just putting something much lower than real life (factor 100) in the other directions. If it ends up yielding in those weak directions, you'll have to figure things out more precisely, but if not then you know you're in the clear.

If you know how you want your fibers oriented, I would find a supplier and bug them for the engineering data.

Composite materials are modeled in ANSYS using layered composite elements, which take as inputs the orthotropic material properties of the layers, as well as the number of layers and the orientation of each layer. This is a fairly well-developed type of analysis and most FEA packages will support some form of orthotropic material and/or composite material analysis.

There is some more reading here on the subject of composites in ANSYS: https://support.ansys.com/staticass...s/Composites and ANSYS Composite PrepPost.pdf

1. What is carbon fibre material and why is it important in ANSYS ACP?

Carbon fibre is a lightweight and strong material made from carbon atoms bonded together in a crystal lattice pattern. It is important in ANSYS ACP because it is commonly used in the aerospace, automotive, and sporting industries due to its high strength-to-weight ratio and stiffness.

2. How do I specify the material properties of carbon fibre in ANSYS ACP?

To specify the material properties of carbon fibre in ANSYS ACP, you will need to go to the Material Manager and create a new material. In the Material Editor, you can then select the type of carbon fibre you are using and input the relevant material properties, such as density, elastic modulus, and shear modulus.

3. Can I import material properties for carbon fibre from external sources?

Yes, ANSYS ACP allows you to import material properties for carbon fibre from external sources such as material databases or material property files. This can save time and ensure accurate material data input.

4. How do I verify the accuracy of the specified carbon fibre material properties?

To verify the accuracy of the specified carbon fibre material properties, you can compare the results of your simulation with experimental data or analytical equations. ANSYS ACP also provides tools to validate the material properties through convergence studies and sensitivity analyses.

5. Are there any limitations to specifying carbon fibre material properties in ANSYS ACP?

While ANSYS ACP offers a wide range of options for specifying carbon fibre material properties, it is important to note that the accuracy of the simulation results also depends on the quality and accuracy of the input data. Additionally, some advanced material properties, such as damage models, may require specialized software or additional add-ons.