Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Importing material properties in ANSYS ACP

1. Apr 26, 2017 #1
    i am doing composite analysis in ansys acp. i am using nomex hneycomb as core sandwiched with 3k twill carbon fiber on each side. i am unable to understand properties that my manufacturer gave. these are lengthwise and widthwise but in ansys i have to enter properties in x y z direction. can any body help?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2017 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you trying to model the material properties for each of the layers, or the total composite structure as a unit? Typically modeling a complex composite structure (especially layered composite structures) requires orthotropic material properties for each layer and orientation information. If you want to just model the structure as a whole, you should be able to orient the model coordinate system in your ANSYS model to match the material properties provided by the vendor.

See here: http://www.ansys.stuba.sk/html/guide_55/g-str/GSTR11.htm

4. Apr 26, 2017 #3
    i am trying to model properties of each layer. can you please guide me? also i am facing difficulty in importing properties of honeycomb nomex . this is the properties of honeycomb that my manufacturer gave

Attached Files:

5. Apr 26, 2017 #4

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Those are the compression strength and orthotropic shear modulus for the honeycomb but may not apply to your loading conditions. You're going to need more detailed information to create a model in Ansys. If not available, your other option is to get raw material properties for the Nomex and then physically model the honeycomb geometry.

6. Apr 26, 2017 #5
    ok i will try to get more properties. can you please tell me how to use properties of resin and carbon fiber? i am also doing analysis in abaqus but i dont have properties of laminate. how can i use resin in abaqus?

7. Apr 26, 2017 #6

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Typically you would not model the resin separately from the carbon fibers. The structural strength of a layered carbon fiber structure comes from the carbon, so in many cases the resin is ignored. If the resin's properties are important (say for out-of-plane loading or loads orthogonal to the fiber direction) you will need to find the material properties of the resin combined with the fibers.

8. Apr 26, 2017 #7
    can i use cohesive behavior with finite thickness? like in this video.

https://wenku.baidu.com/view/a5e4a74d767f5acfa1c7cdf3.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted