1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How to specify direction in 3 dimensional world

Tags:
  1. Apr 7, 2017 #1
    I have just started studying vector algebra and i was wondering how is the direction of a vector (or any point object) specified in 3 dimensions. I know how to indicate the direction of a vector in 1 dimension and 2 dimensions. Is the direction of a vector in 3 dimensions stated by using angles or is there any other way to do so?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2017 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By the vector itself?

You can represent a vector in polar coordinates, which include angles.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  4. Apr 7, 2017 #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

A direction is given by a unit vector. Each unit vector can be specified by spherical coordinates, i.e., two angles. You know this from latitudes and longitudes on Earth. In physics one uses a slightly adapted version of this, which is as follows: Take a Cartesian coordinate system and specify its ##z## axis as the polar axis. Then the unit vector is given in terms of the polar angle ##\vartheta \in [0,\pi]## and azimuthal angle ##\varphi \in [0,2 \pi[## as
    $$x=\cos \varphi \sin \vartheta, \quad y=\sin \varphi \sin \vartheta, \quad z=\cos \vartheta.$$
    To visualize this, see the following figure from Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:3D_Spherical.svg

For the unit vector you have of course ##r=1##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted