Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How to specify direction in 3 dimensional world

Tags:
  1. Apr 7, 2017 #1
    I have just started studying vector algebra and i was wondering how is the direction of a vector (or any point object) specified in 3 dimensions. I know how to indicate the direction of a vector in 1 dimension and 2 dimensions. Is the direction of a vector in 3 dimensions stated by using angles or is there any other way to do so?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2017 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By the vector itself?

You can represent a vector in polar coordinates, which include angles.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  4. Apr 7, 2017 #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

A direction is given by a unit vector. Each unit vector can be specified by spherical coordinates, i.e., two angles. You know this from latitudes and longitudes on Earth. In physics one uses a slightly adapted version of this, which is as follows: Take a Cartesian coordinate system and specify its ##z## axis as the polar axis. Then the unit vector is given in terms of the polar angle ##\vartheta \in [0,\pi]## and azimuthal angle ##\varphi \in [0,2 \pi[## as
    $$x=\cos \varphi \sin \vartheta, \quad y=\sin \varphi \sin \vartheta, \quad z=\cos \vartheta.$$
    To visualize this, see the following figure from Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:3D_Spherical.svg

For the unit vector you have of course ##r=1##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted