How to stop insulation from floating when flooded

In summary, this article discusses how vehicles were crushed against a roof when a water main burst, causing polystyrene insulation to float beneath the car park and raise the floor four feet.
CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Elsewhere someone is planning to install Under Floor Heating (UFH) in a house that is prone to flooding. UFH systems typically comprise a layer of insulation then a layer of concrete screed with UFH pipes in it.

Given this recent news story http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...th-car-park-float-raises-floor-four-feet.html I'm trying to work out what thickness of screed you need to stop the insulation floating.

I think I've done the sums right but perhaps someone could check them for me?

The buoyancy force is equal to the weight of water displaced by the insulation and screed...

Water weighs 1000kg per m^3. If Ti and Ts are the thickness of the insulation and screed in mm and g = acceleration due to gravity, then the buoyancy force per square meter is..

= 1000 * g * (Ti + Ts)/1000
= g * (Ti + Ts) N/m^2

Insulation is very light so I'll ignore it's weight. Screed weighs about 2200 kg per m^3 so the downward force due to the weight of the screed is about

= 2200 * g * Ti /1000
= 2.2 * g * Ti N/m^2

The latter must be greater than the former to stop it floating so

2.2 * g * Ti > g * (Ti + Ts)
g cancels
2.2 * Ti > Ti + Ts
rearrange to give
Ts > 0.83 Ti
so the screed must be at least 0.83 times the thickness of the insulation.

If the insulation was 200mm thick the screed would need to be 0.83 * 200 = 166mm thick to stop it floating in a flood.

I've ignored the fact that there is UFH pipe in the screed making it lighter.

Any mistakes?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good.

It passes the sanity check: 1 meter of insulation plus 0.83 meters of screed would be to 0.83 * 2200 ~= 1830 kg per square meter. By no coincidence, 1.83 meters of water is also 1830 kg per square meter.

Thanks folks.

1. How does insulation get displaced during a flood?

Insulation can become displaced during a flood due to the force of the water pushing against it. Water can also seep into the insulation and cause it to become heavier, making it more likely to float.

2. What types of insulation are most susceptible to floating during a flood?

Insulation materials that are lightweight and have a high air content, such as foam board and fiberglass, are more likely to float during a flood. These materials are also prone to water absorption, which can further contribute to their displacement.

3. How can I prevent insulation from floating during a flood?

To prevent insulation from floating during a flood, it is important to properly seal and secure the insulation in place before the flood occurs. This can include using adhesive or mechanical fasteners to secure the insulation to the wall or ceiling.

4. Can I use a water-resistant insulation to prevent floating during a flood?

While using a water-resistant insulation, such as closed-cell spray foam, may help prevent water absorption, it may not completely prevent the insulation from floating. It is still important to properly secure the insulation in place to prevent displacement during a flood.

5. What should I do if my insulation does float during a flood?

If your insulation does become displaced during a flood, it is important to remove it and replace it with new insulation. The water damage can greatly reduce the effectiveness of the insulation and can also lead to mold growth if not properly addressed.