How to study the Feynman lectures?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of two additional books, Feynman Lectures on Physics and Irodov Problem Book, to supplement a Physics C class. The question of when to start reading Feynman Lectures and how to approach both books is raised, as well as the suggestion to do a few problems from each section of Irodov instead of all of them. The conversation also acknowledges the difficulty of Irodov problems, but also the enjoyment and usefulness in solving them.
integration
I got my final pick of books as extra readings/studying to supplement my rather deficient Physics C class. It's the Feynman lectures on Physics and Irodov problem book (and when my calculus is ready, I'll tackle Introduction to Mechanics by Kleppner and Kolenkow)

How do you think should I approach both books? What is a good way to study them? Should I start reading Feynman before the Physics C class covers that topic, or after we covered the topic in class? BTW, I already had a physics course last year (physics B, so I have a pretty broad base).

Do you think it's better to do all or most of the Irodov problems from 1 section, and then move on, or make a pick from each sections to get a more comprehensive view of physics?

Thanks.

PS: for anyone who solves Irodov problems, I feel your masochistic pain :) ; they are tough but super cool at the same time. I'm so happy with the book, I finally get to maximally use the calculus tools we learn!

Physics news on Phys.org
Doing all the problems in Irodov would take too long. Do a few problems until you feel comfortable with the material and move on to the next topic.

I know that love. The pleasure which you get in solving them is just superb. The beauty of the nature is unveiled for an undergrad student by irodov.

1. How should I approach studying the Feynman lectures?

The best approach to studying the Feynman lectures is to start with a basic understanding of physics and mathematics. It's recommended to have a strong foundation in high school level physics and calculus before diving into the lectures. Then, read through the lectures in order, taking notes and solving practice problems along the way. Make sure to also use additional resources, such as textbooks, to supplement your learning.

2. How long will it take to study the Feynman lectures?

The length of time it takes to study the Feynman lectures will vary depending on your individual learning pace. It's important to take your time and fully understand the concepts before moving on to the next lecture. Some people may be able to complete the lectures in a few months, while others may take longer. It's important to not rush through the material.

3. Do I need any special materials to study the Feynman lectures?

No, you do not need any special materials to study the Feynman lectures. The lectures were originally given as part of a basic physics course at Caltech, so they are designed to be understood with just a pen and paper. However, having access to a textbook or additional resources may be helpful in understanding some of the more complex concepts.

4. How can I apply the concepts learned in the Feynman lectures?

The concepts learned in the Feynman lectures can be applied in many different fields, including physics, engineering, and even everyday life. It's important to practice solving problems and applying the concepts in real-world situations. You can also use the lectures as a foundation for further studies in physics or related fields.

5. Are the Feynman lectures suitable for beginners?

The Feynman lectures can be challenging for beginners, but they are also a great resource for learning physics from the ground up. As mentioned before, having a basic understanding of physics and mathematics is recommended before starting the lectures. However, with dedication and effort, beginners can also successfully study and understand the Feynman lectures.