Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to use Business Email (Technical)

1. Feb 3, 2016 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi All,
    I recently started a new job and I was assigned a personal email address by the company, but I am
    clueless on how it works:

The email is of the form : username@companyname.com

I was told I can "log on to it" through Gmail. Anyone know how this works? I mean, how can

I send an email under this address, how can I check my emails ? I know for a fact the company does not have
    its own server. Does it buy or freely get some service from Google/Gmail? I am aware of free services like Gmail itself and Googledocs, Google alerts, etc. but I am not familiar with this. Any ideas?

Sorry, I feel like an idiot for being so clueless and thanks for any help. Just in case (obviously), I am not the
    CTO nor the IT :)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2016 #2
    You go to gmail put the whole email name (username@companyname.com) and then the password when asked for it. Gmail will either log you in or redirect you to another page (from the company) which will probably ask for the password if the company handles the email.

The other option is to use an email client. You know, Thunderbird or whatever.

4. Feb 3, 2016 #3

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry, but where do I put the email name? In a new email, on the search bar? Sorry for being slow.:oops:

5. Feb 3, 2016 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Gmail is part of Google Apps, which has documentation here: https://apps.google.com/learning-center/

As described there, try going to http://mail.google.com/ , and enter your given e-mail address and password.

The college where I work uses Gmail and the other Google Apps. We have a special domain http://mail.g.ourdomain.edu [Broken] (where "ourdomain" of course is a place-holder for the real name). Your company may or may not be set up similarly. But I don't remember what it looks like when you go there as a new user. When I go there now it remembers my address and either logs me in automatically or asks me for my password if I haven't logged in for a while.

Don't be embarrassed to ask your IT people about things if you have trouble. There may be peculiarities related to their system.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  6. Feb 3, 2016 #5

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thank you, for some reason my searches all come up in a language I was told is Hebrew, no idea why, so I cannot do an(understandable) online search.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  7. Feb 4, 2016 #6
    No hassle. :wink: Like in the link jtbell wrote, go here: https://mail.google.com/
    • And there's a box that says in a placeholder text (gray text): Enter your email
    • Enter your email (username@companyname.com) and click the button that says: "Next"
    • Then it will ask for your password or before asking for your password it will redirect you to the login page managed by the company. If it asks for your password without redirecting then Google manages the email. If it redirects then your company manages the email.

8. Feb 4, 2016 #7
    I actually use Google Apps for Physics Forums email. It can be slightly confusing especially when you have a personal gmail account.

9. Feb 5, 2016 #8
    My dad's work email was through Gmail. He was given a URL in which he could log in using his username (not full email) and password. It required a code if he logged into his emails at home. Maybe your company has a dedicate Gmail URL which you use to log in?

10. Feb 6, 2016 #9

meBigGuy

Gold Member

My company has gmail. Our email addresses are of form my_name@our_company.com. In any browser you can go to mail.google.com and login with your email address.

I use chrome as my dedicated mail client (and firefox for browsing).

11. Feb 6, 2016 #10

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks all, I got it, I successfully logged in.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook