How to use derivatives and integrals

In summary: An engineer would use derivatives to find the work done, whereas a physics student would use integration. If he doesn't know integration, how is he going to be able to understand or apply the concept here?
winston2020
I'm in University Physics, and my prof. just gave us a lecture to make sure we're aware of how to use derivatives and integrals (first year). However, I haven't learned integrals in high school, and all this quick review did was confuse me.

Would someone kindly take a few minutes to give me a quick summary of how integrals work (as well as the notation, which looks like greek [and probably is :P])?

I know that they are used to calculate the area under a curve given a certain interval. The concept is not the problem, it's the actual application.

Physics news on Phys.org

You should probably drop your class and take calculus first (you should have a list of prereqs for your physics class, have you fulfilled them?) or at least take them concurrently. I don't think you truly want someone to summarize Calc 1 and 2 in a post do you?

NoMoreExams said:
You should probably drop your class and take calculus first (you should have a list of prereqs for your physics class, have you fulfilled them?) or at least take them concurrently. I don't think you truly want someone to summarize Calc 1 and 2 in a post do you?

I'm currently taking Calculus. I have the pre-requisites for my course. The issue is that the high school math curriculum has recently changed, and no longer includes integrals. I will learn them this semester in my math course, but I need them in physics right now.

I do know derivatives however, just not integrals.

don't worry they won't be used anywhere in your physics class

ice109 said:

I don't see how you've come to that conclusion.

ice109 said:
? They are used everywhere in 1st year physics classes. For example, work done by a force along a path is a line integral but in first year, that usually reduces to a single variable integral. If he doesn't know integration, how is he going to be able to understand or apply the concept here?

Anyway, I'm just surprised that your high school didn't cover integration at all. You definitely have to do at least calc 1 before doing that physics class.

I'm suprised they let you on the course at all.

It's nothing to do with me; even my professors and TAs have said it's a problem with the high school curriculum. They no longer sufficiently prepare students for university... one of the most lacking subjects apparently is math.

With that said, thank you all for your advice. I am enrolled in calc1 right now, but until we cover integrals, I'll read ahead in the book, and post any questions I have.

Thanks again :)

Defennder said:
? They are used everywhere in 1st year physics classes. For example, work done by a force along a path is a line integral but in first year, that usually reduces to a single variable integral. If he doesn't know integration, how is he going to be able to understand or apply the concept here?

It may be a slight handicap to have not gone through that rigmarole, but it is a thing everyone forgets after a year. For following all the arguments in a physics textbook it is not necessary. Don't worry how they integrated a thing, just check that the answer is right. It is the inverse of differentiation so you know how to do that. (Which your classmates should do as well but won't as they will be worn out by the effort of the pesky integration). And there are hand calculators as well as computer programmes that can handle most things.You have to know what it means of course, what definite and indefinite are and enough to not be flummoxed when e.g. you see multiple integrals.

I know I am a bit of a subversive on this and not traditional so expect to see mostly contrary opinion. :smile:

(One of the nicest things I remember a teacher saying about me in class at school was 'He isn't clever - just a master of low cunning! :blushing:pride:rofl:)

Well, integration is so fundamental to everything in physics I really don't see how the OP can make it through without knowing it in advance. For example, he said earlier that he doesn't even recognise the integration sign at all. Secondly, it's not just to read and understand the textbook that he'll need knowledge of integration for. I did a 1st yr physics course in my first semester and came across a question (given online as part of homework) which required me to integrate to find the work done to move a block across two sheets of material with different coefficients of kinetic friction. This is an example where knowledge of integration itself isn't enough, you also need to combine it with how to apply it in physics to solve such problems.

epenguin said:
And there are hand calculators as well as computer programmes that can handle most things.
Try microsoft maths, its very good and does calculus, algebra and more complicated stuff like imaginary/complex numbers.

integral is actually the opposite of derrivative.
ex: the derrivative of x square is 2x.
then the integral of 2x is x square.

poonlam said:
integral is actually the opposite of derrivative.
ex: the derrivative of x square is 2x.
then the integral of 2x is x square.

No. The integral of 2x (WRt x) is x^2+c.

madmike159 said:
No. The integral of 2x (WRt x) is x^2+c.

oh yah i forgot. sr.

madmike159 said:
Try microsoft maths, its very good and does calculus, algebra and more complicated stuff like imaginary/complex numbers.

Also I might add I have the Casio fx-991ES calculator, which is very good. It does intergration and differentiation, logs (any base), all the usual stuff, matrices, vectors, different base number conversions solving equations, stats and tables and complex numbers. It also has 40 conversions and 40 constants built in. Its a very usful tool for any maths or science lesson.

you can use TI calculator too. I am using TI 84 right now. its like $163. though I am not sure if colleges allowed us to use calculator during test or not.

$163 sounds like quite alot, although the ability to do graphs is very usful. Mine was £16, which is about $28-29.

madmike159 said:
$163 sounds like quite alot, although the ability to do graphs is very usful. Mine was £16, which is about $28-29.

dude its hella cheap. idk why mine is so expensive... but my teacher recommends us that calculator. so yah, i have to buy it anyway!

The best thing to do is get the second best. The model below my calculator is £6 ($11).
There is also a really good one I've seen for £80 ($147). http://www.casio.co.uk/Products/Calculators/Graphical%20Calculators/FX-9860GSD-LB-EH/Technical_Specifications/
Although the TI 84 looks better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Find a list of basic integrals online and study it until you have it memorized.

Just remember that the integral is the anti-derivative...in many physics problems that will be enough to get you what you need.

If you have time to learn any integration techniques, I'd recommend getting an idea of substitution (often called u-substitution) and integration by parts. Just a basic understanding of how they work should probably get you through most of your sticking points.

If the professor sees that this is a continuing problem, the work is probably set up so as not to include many difficult integrals, so a basic understanding that they're just the anti-derivative will probably be enough to scrape by.

1. What is the difference between derivatives and integrals?

Derivatives and integrals are two fundamental concepts in calculus. Derivatives measure the rate of change of a function at a specific point, while integrals measure the accumulation of a function over a given interval. In simple terms, derivatives tell us how fast something is changing, while integrals tell us how much something has changed.

2. How are derivatives and integrals used in real life?

Derivatives and integrals have a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are used to model and analyze real-world phenomena such as motion, growth, and optimization problems. For example, derivatives are used to calculate velocity and acceleration of objects, while integrals are used to calculate areas, volumes, and probabilities.

3. What is the process for finding a derivative or integral?

The process for finding a derivative or integral depends on the function being studied. For derivatives, we use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule, to find the derivative of a function. For integrals, we use techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution to evaluate the integral. In some cases, we may also need to use numerical methods to approximate the derivative or integral.

4. How do derivatives and integrals relate to each other?

Derivatives and integrals are inverse operations of each other. This means that the derivative of a function can be used to find the integral of the same function, and vice versa. This relationship is known as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and is a crucial concept in calculus.

5. Why are derivatives and integrals important in calculus?

Derivatives and integrals are essential concepts in calculus because they provide us with powerful tools to understand and analyze how quantities change over time or space. They allow us to solve complex problems and make predictions about real-world phenomena. Moreover, many other mathematical concepts, such as optimization and differential equations, are built upon derivatives and integrals.