How to Use Epsilon-Delta Definition of Limits to Prove Inequality?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
zeebo17
Messages
40
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Let [tex]f: \Re \rightarrow \Re[/tex] and [tex]g: \Re \rightarrow \Re[/tex] be functions such that
[tex]lim_{x \rightarrow 1} f(x)=\alpha[/tex]
and
[tex]lim_{x \rightarrow 1} g(x)=\beta[/tex]
for some [tex]\alpha, \beta \in \Re[/tex] with [tex]\alpha < \beta[/tex]. Use the [tex]\epsilon-\delta[/tex] definition of a limit to prove there exists a number [tex]\delta >0[/tex]
such that [tex]f(x)<g(x)[/tex] for all [tex]x[/tex] satisfying [tex]1- \delta < x< 1+ \delta[/tex].


Homework Equations




The Attempt at a Solution



By definition I know that there exists a
[tex]\delta_1 >0[/tex] s.t. [tex]\left|f(x)-\alpha \right|< \epsilon_1[/tex] [tex]\forall \left| x-\alpha \right| < \delta_1[/tex]
and
[tex]\delta_2 >0[/tex] s.t. [tex]\left|g(x)-\beta \right|< \epsilon_2[/tex] [tex]\forall \left| x-\beta \right| < \delta_2[/tex].

Then I know that the [tex]1- \delta < x< 1+ \delta[/tex] can simplify to [tex]\left| x-1 \right| < \delta[/tex].

Perhaps I should set [tex]\delta = min( \delta_1, \delta_2)[/tex]? It seems that I need to show that if I can get [tex]x[/tex] close enough to 1 ([tex]\left| x-1 \right| < \delta[/tex]) then [tex]f(x)[/tex] can get close enough to [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]g(x)[/tex] can get close enough to [tex]\beta[/tex], thus because [tex]\alpha < \beta[/tex] we have [tex]f(x) < g(x)[/tex]. Am I on the right track? If so how would I start to prove this?


Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You will need to find [itex]\delta[/itex], but remember that [itex]\delta[/itex] depends on [itex]\epsilon[/itex]. You're on the right track; what do you think you need to pick for epsilon so that f(x) is "close enough" to [itex]\alpha[/itex] and g(x) is "close enough" to [itex]\beta[/itex]?