Continuity: Epsilon & Delta Homework

So why do i need the ##~\epsilon=\frac{1}{2}f(c)~##?In summary, the conversation is about the concept of continuity and how to prove it. The participants discuss the definition of continuity and its implications, with one participant questioning the need for a specific epsilon value in the proof. The conversation also includes a mention of using a graph to illustrate the concept.
Karol

Homework Statement

Snap1.jpg

Homework Equations

Continuity:
$$\vert x-c \vert < \delta~\Rightarrow~\vert f(x)-f(c) \vert < \epsilon$$
$$\delta=\delta(c,\epsilon)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\vert f(x)-f(c) \vert <\frac{1}{2}f(c)~\Rightarrow~\vert x-c \vert < \delta_1$$
So i have this δ1 but what do i do with it?
And ε=½f(c) is big, maybe it will be in the negative zone.
Maybe i have to find a δ such that ##~\vert f(x)-f(c) \vert =0~##?
There is such a δ, so why was advised to take such a large ε?

Physics news on Phys.org
Karol said:

$$\vert f(x)-f(c) \vert <\frac{1}{2}f(c)~\Rightarrow~\vert x-c \vert < \delta_1$$
So i have this δ1 but what do i do with it?
And ε=½f(c) is big, maybe it will be in the negative zone.
Maybe i have to find a δ such that ##~\vert f(x)-f(c) \vert =0~##?
There is such a δ, so why was advised to take such a large ε?

You are still starting these proofs the wrong way round. Somehow you have to train yourself to stop writing things like:

You must, must, must stop yourself from doing this.

For this problem I would first try to "prove" it using a graph of the function and a geometric argument.

Karol said:

Homework Equations

Continuity:
$$\vert x-c \vert < \delta~\Rightarrow~\vert f(x)-f(c) \vert < \epsilon$$

The above is continuity.

Karol said:

And this is what you write. You must see the difference. Every time you turn it round the wrong way.

I was wrong at the definition of continuity:
$$\vert f(x)-f(c) \vert < \epsilon~\Rightarrow~\vert x-c \vert < \delta$$
The ε is to the intersection with x
Snap4.jpg

Karol said:
No, what you have above is backwards. The implication you showed in post 1 has the implication in the right order.
In words, "If x is close to c, then f(x) will be close to f(c)"
The delta and epsilon quantify the "close to" terms.
Karol said:
The ε is to the intersection with x
??
Karol said:
In your drawing, where is x? Where is c? Is the circled point on the curve (c, f(c))?

Karol said:

:headbang:

Likes SammyS
I had a friend, a fraternity brother actually, who always said that his ambition in life was to be an epsilon and delta picker.

Likes PeroK
Snap1.jpg

If f(c)>0 i can take ε small and it will still be ##~\vert f(x)-f(c) \vert >0~## and find a δ because of continuity, so why do i need the ##~\epsilon=\frac{1}{2}f(c)~##?

In your drawing in post #8, you have ##\epsilon = f(c)##, which isn't what the hint is saying.

Snap5.jpg
Thank you Mark, Dr.D and PeroK

@Karol, did you actually prove the theorem? The problem asks you to prove that statement, and illustrate with a sketch.

Because of continuity i can find a δ for ##~\epsilon=\frac{1}{2}f(c)~##, so in this interval: ##~c-\delta<x<c+\delta~##, f(x)>0

1. What is the purpose of continuity in mathematics?

Continuity is a fundamental concept in mathematics that describes the smoothness and connectedness of a function. It ensures that there are no abrupt changes or breaks in the graph of a function, making it easier to analyze and understand.

2. What do the symbols epsilon and delta represent in the definition of continuity?

Epsilon (ε) and delta (δ) are used to represent arbitrary positive numbers in the definition of continuity. They are used to define a neighborhood around a point on the graph of a function, and to determine the closeness of the outputs of the function for points within that neighborhood.

3. How is continuity defined using the epsilon-delta definition?

A function f(x) is said to be continuous at a point x = a if for any given positive number ε, there exists a positive number δ such that for all values of x within a distance of δ from a, the outputs of the function are within a distance of ε from the output at a. This is known as the epsilon-delta definition of continuity.

4. Can a function be continuous at some points but not at others?

Yes, a function can be continuous at some points and discontinuous at others. A function is considered discontinuous at a point if it does not satisfy the epsilon-delta definition of continuity at that point. This can happen when there is an abrupt change or a break in the graph of the function at that point.

5. How is continuity related to differentiability?

Continuity is a necessary condition for differentiability. A function must be continuous at a point in order for it to be differentiable at that point. However, continuity alone does not guarantee differentiability. A function can be continuous at a point but not have a well-defined derivative at that point, such as in the case of a corner or cusp on the graph of the function.