• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

How to use matrix method on this system of equations

Say that I have 2x+2yz=0 2y+2xz=0 and 2z+2xy=0 how would I use matrix methods to solve this system of equations? I know you can just look at it and easily figure out what the critical points are but I want to do it the safe way. Or is using the matrix method not the easiest way here?

For extra information the crit points are (0,0,0) (-1,1,1) (1,-1,1) (1,1,-1) (-1,-1,-1)

Thanks!

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
There is no 'matrix method' to use. It's not a system of linear equations. And they aren't really called 'critical points'. They are called 'solutions'. Just use algebra and logic. Which I think you are already doing.

There is no 'matrix method' to use. It's not a system of linear equations. And they aren't really called 'critical points'. They are called 'solutions'. Just use algebra and logic. Which I think you are already doing.
What's the "algebraic" way of doing this? Multiple rounds of substitution?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
What's the "algebraic" way of doing this? Multiple rounds of substitution?
Yes, basically. If e.g. x+yz=0 then either y=(-x/z) or z=0, subsitute that into the other equations. Explain how you got your solutions.

Last edited:
Yes, basically. If e.g. x+yz=0 then either y=(-x/z) or z=0, subsitute that into the other equations. Explain how you got your solutions.
I just looked at this and thought of good numbers that would satisfy the equations. That's why I wanted a more systematic way of doing it. The substitution looks like a real headache to do.

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I just looked at this and thought of good numbers that would satisfy the equations. That's why I wanted a more systematic way of doing it. The substitution looks like a real headache to do.
OK, you just solved by inspection. Doing it systematically isn't that much of headache. Just do it. If I substitute y=(-x/z) into the second relation I get x(1-z^2)=0 after a little algebra. What does that tell you?

Well I get that x=0 and z=+-1

If I plug into the third one I get x=+-z and z=+-x. Where should I start plugging things in next?

Last edited:
OK, you just solved by inspection. Doing it systematically isn't that much of headache. Just do it. If I substitute y=(-x/z) into the second relation I get x(1-z^2)=0 after a little algebra. What does that tell you?

If I plug into the third one I get x=+-z and z=+-x. Where should I start plugging things in next?

Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
That's actually an or, not an and that you want

That's actually an or, not an and that you want
Oh ok. Thank you. So now that I know x=0 or z=+-1 what should my next step be? Should I plug 1 and -1 into the first equation?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Oh ok. Thank you. So now that I know x=0 or z=+-1 what should my next step be? Should I plug 1 and -1 into the first equation?
You know you are going to get 5 different solutions. Take those 'or' cases separately. In solving the first equation you had the z=0 OR x=(-y/z). First supposing z=0 what can you conclude about x and y? Then after solving the second equation consider the cases x=0, z=1 and z=(-1) separately. Substitute anywhere you like.