1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to use matrix method on this system of equations

1. Sep 23, 2013 #1
    Say that I have 2x+2yz=0 2y+2xz=0 and 2z+2xy=0 how would I use matrix methods to solve this system of equations? I know you can just look at it and easily figure out what the critical points are but I want to do it the safe way. Or is using the matrix method not the easiest way here?

For extra information the crit points are (0,0,0) (-1,1,1) (1,-1,1) (1,1,-1) (-1,-1,-1)

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is no 'matrix method' to use. It's not a system of linear equations. And they aren't really called 'critical points'. They are called 'solutions'. Just use algebra and logic. Which I think you are already doing.

4. Sep 23, 2013 #3
    What's the "algebraic" way of doing this? Multiple rounds of substitution?

5. Sep 24, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, basically. If e.g. x+yz=0 then either y=(-x/z) or z=0, subsitute that into the other equations. Explain how you got your solutions.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  6. Sep 24, 2013 #5
    I just looked at this and thought of good numbers that would satisfy the equations. That's why I wanted a more systematic way of doing it. The substitution looks like a real headache to do.

7. Sep 24, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OK, you just solved by inspection. Doing it systematically isn't that much of headache. Just do it. If I substitute y=(-x/z) into the second relation I get x(1-z^2)=0 after a little algebra. What does that tell you?

8. Sep 24, 2013 #7
    Well I get that x=0 and z=+-1

If I plug into the third one I get x=+-z and z=+-x. Where should I start plugging things in next?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  9. Sep 24, 2013 #8
    Well I get that x=0 and z=+-1

If I plug into the third one I get x=+-z and z=+-x. Where should I start plugging things in next?

10. Sep 24, 2013 #9

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's actually an or, not an and that you want

11. Sep 24, 2013 #10
    Oh ok. Thank you. So now that I know x=0 or z=+-1 what should my next step be? Should I plug 1 and -1 into the first equation?

12. Sep 24, 2013 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know you are going to get 5 different solutions. Take those 'or' cases separately. In solving the first equation you had the z=0 OR x=(-y/z). First supposing z=0 what can you conclude about x and y? Then after solving the second equation consider the cases x=0, z=1 and z=(-1) separately. Substitute anywhere you like.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted