1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to use residues with improper integrals?

1. May 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

integral^infty_0 1/(x^2+1) (I know the answer (from text) is pi/2)

2. Relevant equations

Well that is what I need help with. I can see that there are 2 roots to the x^2+1 that are +/- i and I know from the text that I use the arc in the where x >= 0 so I use the z=i residue. I'm not sure what to do next in order to get the answer.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that it is an even function so I can multiply the answer by 1/2 to get the value, and I also understand that the value of the integral is 2*pi*i *[Sum of residues]

Can anyone help me to understand. I have someone elses working out here on the same question and they are using limits and end up using ;im (z-i) = 1/2i
    z->i (z-i)(z+i)

which I don't understand at all? How to get z-i and the other working out... it turns out that 1/2i is what i'm looking for because (1/2)2(pi)i(1/2i) is the answer.... can anyone give me any extra info that might help me to understand, after this question I have to do the same thing but the question is dx/(x^2+1)^2 so I'm hoping that if I get help with the first one I'll understand the 2nd...

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. You need to use the residue from the pole at z=i. Since 1/(z^2+1)=1/((z+i)*(z-i)), the residue is the value of this function after dropping the (z-i) factor evaluated at z=i. 1/(z+i) at z=i is 1/(2i). This is a good easy example to be clear about before you move on to harder ones.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?