How to Use the First Identity to Prove the Last Step?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Manasan3010
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 2K views
Manasan3010
Messages
38
Reaction score
3
Homework Statement
Prove, ##tan(\frac{\pi}{12})=2-\sqrt{3}##
Relevant Equations
-
1565008085039.png

I am stuck at the last step.How to prove the last? Any Help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How to prove the last?
No idea.
Any Help?
Notice that ##2{\pi\over 12 } = {\pi\over6}## and for that one you know the value of the tangent
##1\over\sqrt 3## :smile:
 
Last edited:
BvU said:
No idea.
Notice that 2π12=π62π12=π6 and for that one you know the value of the tangent
1/2 :smile:
Where are you getting 2*pi/12 from? in which line are you putting it in?

Will my answer be wrong If I simply substitute and simplify the values in the first step itself(Using trigonometry Table). Will my warks get deduct?
 
? You have nothing to substitute
 
BvU said:
? You have nothing to substitute
Where are you getting 2*pi/12 from? in which line are you putting it in?
 
I'm not 'getting' it from anywhere. The exercise asks for a tangent of an angle that I don't know the value of the tangent for. But I realize I do know the tangent of twice that angle and I try to make a link between the two ...

Looking at the original post: what is the grey stuff ? Some template you are forced to use ?

Note: I had to edit the spoiler in post #2 ( o:) )
 
BvU said:
I try to make a link between the two ...
How/Where are you making the link?
BTW the template is Wolfram Mathematica Notebook Template
 
If you don't know how to make the link between the tangent of an angle and the tangent of the half angle, you cannot reasonably be presented with this exercise, so I suppose you do know...
 
You don't just start writing an equation arbitrarily. What reason did you have to immediately write "[itex]tan(\theta)= \frac{sin(\theta)}{cos(\theta)}[/itex]"? It's true, of course, but so are many other equations. Writing [itex]tan(\pi/12)= \frac{sin(\pi/12)}{cos(\pi/12)}[/itex] doesn't help because we don't, immediately, know [itex]sin(\pi/12)[/itex] or [itex]cos(\pi/12)[/itex]!

Instead, you should notice that [itex]\frac{\pi}{12}= \frac{1}{2}\frac{\pi}{ 6}[/itex]. We know that [itex]sin(\pi/6)= \frac{1}{2}[/itex] and [itex]cos(\pi/6)= \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex] and we have half-angle formulas.

Think about those things before you start writing equations!
 
Thank I've finally found the identity and solved. They didn't teach me the second or third one. They only taught me the first one. Can i derive the answer using the first Identity?
1565017446763.png
 
Manasan3010 said:
Thank I've finally found the identity and solved. They didn't teach me the second or third one. They only taught me the first one. Can i derive the answer using the first Identity?
View attachment 247659
Yes, you can use the first identity. This is probably what @BvU was thinking of when he suggested working with ##\frac \pi 6##.

Since both ##\frac \pi 6## and ##\frac \pi {12}## are in the first quadrant, their tangents are positive, so you should use the pos. square root in the formula.