How to write this in terms of ##\zeta (x)##?

• B
  • Thread starter MevsEinstein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary, the conversation discusses how to re-write the expression $$\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^x}*(\displaystyle\sum_{k \in S, \mathbb{Z}\S =n} \frac{1}{k^{yi}})$$ in terms of ##\zeta (x)## and how simplifying it in this way would avoid repetition. However, before simplifying the second term, it is necessary to specify what is being summed.
MevsEinstein
TL;DR Summary
I wrote $$\zeta (x+yi)$$ as ##\zeta(x)\zeta(yi) - \displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^x} *(\displaystyle\sum_{k \in S, \mathbb{Z}\S =n})##. I want to simplify the second term in terms of the zeta function so I can solve for ##\zeta (x)##.
How do I re-write $$\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^x} *(\displaystyle\sum_{k \in S, \mathbb{Z}\S =n})$$ in terms of ##\zeta (x)## ? I want to solve for ##\zeta (x)## and simplifying the above expression in terms of ##\zeta (x)## would avoid repetition.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to fix the latex in your post. You can use dollar signs instead of hashes to make the whole line display style which might make it look better.

Office_Shredder said:
You have to fix the latex in your post.
It took me forever to find the error. Turns out it was just a parentheses >D.

Oh wait instead of \ it gives me ##\S=##

MevsEinstein said:
How do I re-write $$\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^x} *(\displaystyle\sum_{k \in S, \mathbb{Z}\S =n})$$
Before you can simplify the 2nd term, you need to say what is being summed.

Mark44 said:
Before you can simplify the 2nd term, you need to say what is being summed.
OOPS! $$\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^x}*(\displaystyle\sum_{k \in S, \mathbb{Z} \S =n} \frac{1}{k^{yi}})$$ There you go. Note that ##\mathbb{Z} \S =n## is actually ##\mathbb{Z}##\S = n, I couldn't fix the bug.

1. How do I write an expression in terms of ##\zeta (x)##?

To write an expression in terms of ##\zeta (x)##, you need to replace any variables or constants in the expression with ##\zeta (x)##. For example, if the expression is ##x^2 + 3##, you can write it in terms of ##\zeta (x)## as ##\zeta (x)^2 + 3##.

2. What is the purpose of writing an expression in terms of ##\zeta (x)##?

Writing an expression in terms of ##\zeta (x)## can help simplify and generalize the expression. It can also make it easier to manipulate and solve for different values of ##x##.

3. Can any expression be written in terms of ##\zeta (x)##?

No, not all expressions can be written in terms of ##\zeta (x)##. It depends on the complexity and type of the expression. Some expressions may not have a simple form in terms of ##\zeta (x)##.

4. How do I know if I have written an expression correctly in terms of ##\zeta (x)##?

You can check if you have written an expression correctly in terms of ##\zeta (x)## by substituting different values for ##x## and comparing the results to the original expression. If they are equivalent, then you have written it correctly.

5. Can I use any other variable besides ##x## when writing an expression in terms of ##\zeta (x)##?

Yes, you can use any variable besides ##x## when writing an expression in terms of ##\zeta (x)##. Just make sure to replace all instances of the variable with ##\zeta (x)## in the expression.