How to write Upper Case letters in TI-89

• Calculators
  • Thread starter WikiYou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ti-89
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of writing upper case letters on a TI-89 calculator. The manual explains how to write them, but when the enter key is pressed, only lower case letters are displayed. This also happens when using the white upper arrow key and alpha key together. The issue appears to be that the calculator is recognizing the characters as variable names, which only allow lower case letters. By adding quotation marks around the text, this issue can be resolved.
WikiYou
Hello am interested how to write upper case letters in TI-89

I have read the manual how to write the upper case letters but whenever i press enter the calculator doesent show the upper case letters on the sceen instead it only writes lower case letters.

For example i press white upper arrow and press the letter key, calculator then shows the upper case letter in the modifying smaller lower section of the screen but when i press enter it shows only lower case letters in the fixed larger part of the screen.

the same thing happens if i use white upper arrow key and alpha key combined , i write several upper case letters on the calculator, then press enter and the calculator writes lower case letters on the screen.

Computer science news on Phys.org
It seems the issue is that the calculator is parsing the characters as the name of a variable which only allows lowercase letters. If you place a quotation symbol around the text, there will be no modifications to your input :)

1. How do I write upper case letters on my TI-89 calculator?

To write upper case letters on your TI-89 calculator, you can simply hold down the "Alpha" button and then press the letter you want to type in. This will automatically capitalize the letter for you. You can also use the "Shift" and "Alpha" buttons to toggle between upper and lower case letters.

2. Can I change the default setting to always type in upper case letters on my TI-89?

No, unfortunately the TI-89 does not have a setting to change the default typing to upper case letters. You will need to use the "Alpha" and "Shift" buttons to manually capitalize each letter.

3. Is there a shortcut to quickly type in all caps on the TI-89?

Yes, you can use the "Caps" button to quickly type in all caps on the TI-89. Pressing this button will capitalize all letters until you press it again to turn it off.

4. How do I type special characters in upper case on the TI-89?

To type special characters in upper case on the TI-89, you will need to first activate the "Alpha" button. Then, hold down the "Shift" button and press the desired special character. This will type it in upper case.

5. Can I use the TI-89's keyboard to type in upper case letters on my computer?

No, the TI-89's keyboard is not compatible with computers. You will need to use the keyboard on your computer to type in upper case letters. However, you can transfer any text you have typed on the TI-89 to your computer using a USB cable or other data transfer method.