How was substitution chosen in ellipse equation derivation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the understanding of the substitution of b2 = a2 - c2 in the standard form for an ellipse. The person has been reviewing College Algebra and struggling to understand the reasoning behind this substitution. However, after doing some research and studying the typesetting, they have gained a better understanding of the concept. This substitution is chosen because it represents the distance from one focus to a point on the ellipse plus the distance from the other focus to the same point on the ellipse, which is always equal to 2a. This helps to establish a right angle and ultimately leads to the equation b2 + c2 = a2.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
I have been spending a few days reviewing parts of College Algebra from College Algebra, by Aufmann, Barker, & Nation. I am following the discussion of the shape, features, and equation for an ellipse, and I understand the derivation well, EXCEPT that I do not know how the subsitution of b2 = a2 - c2, where a is half the length of the major axis, b is half the length of the minor axis, and c is the length from the origin to either focus. The standard form for the ellipse being:
[itex]\frac{x^{2}}{a^{2}} + \frac{y^{2}}{b^{2}} = 1[/itex]

I tried drawing my own pictures, graphs, to figure out how the substitution was chosen, but I made no progress, although I see that the substituion works by just trusting it. The page in the book for this is 311 and 312.

This is NOT homework. I earned my credit in Pre-Calculus in college about three decades ago.

(This is my third edit. Sometimes the TEX equation works, sometimes the TEX equation stays with all the tags showing. This is inconsistant.)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Finally some good progress in understanding, essentially the same information as in the book, in this online article, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proofs_involving_the_ellipse

The reason for the substitution makes more sense now. Distances from one focus to point on ellipse plus from other focus to same point on ellipse are always 2a; when x=0, y=b; then both distances from foci to (0, b) are equal. This makes right angle ..., b2+c2=a2.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is substitution in the ellipse equation derivation?

Substitution is a mathematical technique used to simplify and solve equations by replacing one or more variables with equivalent expressions.

2. Why was substitution chosen in the ellipse equation derivation?

Substitution was chosen in the ellipse equation derivation because it allows for the elimination of one variable, making the equation easier to solve and understand.

3. How does substitution help in the ellipse equation derivation?

Substitution helps in the ellipse equation derivation by simplifying the equation and making it easier to manipulate and solve. It also helps in visualizing and understanding the relationship between the variables in the equation.

4. What are the steps involved in using substitution in the ellipse equation derivation?

The steps involved in using substitution in the ellipse equation derivation are: 1) Identify the variable to be eliminated, 2) Choose an expression to substitute for that variable, 3) Substitute the expression into the equation, 4) Simplify the resulting equation, and 5) Solve for the remaining variable.

5. Are there any other methods besides substitution that can be used in the ellipse equation derivation?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used in the ellipse equation derivation, such as elimination, graphing, or using the properties of ellipses. However, substitution is often the preferred method as it is more straightforward and less time-consuming.