Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How we determine conductivity of powder?

1. Apr 17, 2007 #1
    how we determine conductivity of powder??

hmm.....i got a question..

i had three inorganic polymer (powder/solid form) and i wanna mixed it according to various composition.

how can i determine the conductivity? do i need special equipment to read the conductivity or can i just dissolved the mixture of inorganic powder in water then read it?will it affected the conductivity?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2007 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the powder is ionic and dissociates in water the conductivity (ionic) will be increased over that of the solid powder.

To answer the question about the the conductivity of the powder itself, you need to know its density. An airborne sample of the powder will have a different conductivity than a loose pile which would be different than that of a compressed pellet. A special piece of equipment will be required to measure this regardless of the form. Perhaps a four point probe....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?