How Will Charge Distribute on a Spherical Conductor Near a Positive Charge?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
EV33
Messages
192
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The problem shows a picture of a spherical conductor that is placed some distance away from a positive charge.

It wants me to draw in how I think the charge will be distributed.

Homework Equations



E=(KQq)/r^(2)

The Attempt at a Solution



My original thoughts were that the negative charge would be on the side closest to the positive charge because opposite charges attact.

But then

I remembered that the E field inside of a conductor is always zero. So then I figured that the positive charges would be on the side closest to the positive charge because the e field of the charges on the right side of the sphere need to be facing the opposite direction as the e field from the outside charge in order for the e fields to cancel each other out inside the sphere.

Is this right?

It just throws me off a little bit because I know that opposite charges attract.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I noticed my post didn't make much sense there towards the end but I just edited so hopefully it makes sense now if anyone was having trouble understanding what I was saying.