How will the addition of phenol to a solution affect the O2

In summary, the question being asked is if there would be a reaction between phenol and oxygen in a water solution, and how it would affect the oxygen content. The expert speculates that the reaction would require external stimuli, such as photo-oxidization, due to the inert nature of oxygen in its ground state. The expert also mentions the possibility of fast intersystem crossing between excited states of phenol, which could lead to a reaction with oxygen. The second question regarding degassing and its effect on the solution's ability to hold oxygen is unclear.
rwooduk
I asked a question regarding oxygen meters recently in another section of the forum but unfortunately no one seems to have used them before. So I thought I would break the problem down and ask a direct chemistry question...

If I introduce phenol to a water solution will there be any reaction occurring that would effect the oxygen content? Further, if I degas the solution how would the presence of phenol effect the solutions ability to "hold" the oxygen in the solution?

Thanks for any ideas, I can't seem to find any data on this on the internet.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The phenol and water reaction involves decomposition of oxygen present in it,provided that the water is distilled and phenol to be conc.
You can imagine the products of this reaction

@John Dalton - I do not believe @rwooduk wants to imagine anything. Can you please be more specific? Imagine in this context means to create an answer based on little or no knowledge.

rwooduk said:
I asked a question regarding oxygen meters recently in another section of the forum but unfortunately no one seems to have used them before. So I thought I would break the problem down and ask a direct chemistry question...

If I introduce phenol to a water solution will there be any reaction occurring that would effect the oxygen content? Further, if I degas the solution how would the presence of phenol effect the solutions ability to "hold" the oxygen in the solution?

Thanks for any ideas, I can't seem to find any data on this on the internet.
I didn't know that phenol can be used as an oxygen meters. Could you give us the link to that thread so we can have some background on it?

Here is my speculation on this. You might want to take this with a grain of salt because I am not confident in the scale in which this reaction can occur.

Oxygen gas are soluble in water (RT, 1 bar) for 40 mg/L (1.25 mmol/L). I think if the oxygen and phenol is to react, then concentration of phenol needs to be comparable (or larger) to the concentration of oxygen in order for it to lower the oxygen content. However, I think phenol and oxygen is inert, and we shouldn't be expecting a reaction without external stimuli. This is because oxygen is a triplet at ground state. Triplet state are usually inert with compounds of singlet ground state (most compounds are singlet at ground state and phenol is no exception) due to it being a spin-forbidden process. In order for a molecule to react to oxygen, they must be somehow converted to a triplet state. In this case, I suspect photo-oxidization to play a key role.

I'm not very sure but I believe phenol have fast intersystem crossing to triplet state once excited by a photon. Phenol have nonbonding electrons on the oxygen atom, and one of the electrons can be excited to the π*-orbitals (n-π* transition). Phenol also have π-π* excited state. If triplet π-π* excited state is lower than singlet n-π* excited state, then intersystem crossing between these two states must be quite fast (due to large spin-orbit coupling between these two states), at least comparable to that of fluorescence. Then triplet excited state phenol can be produced and can react with oxygen as a spin-allowed process.

I don't understand your second question. If you degas, there is no oxygen so the solution shouldn't be "holding" the oxygen at all.

Likes John Dalton

1. How does the addition of phenol affect the concentration of O2 in a solution?

The addition of phenol to a solution can decrease the concentration of O2. This is because phenol is a reducing agent that can react with O2 molecules, resulting in the formation of water and reducing the amount of O2 available in the solution.

2. Will the presence of phenol in a solution impact the rate of O2 production or consumption?

Yes, the presence of phenol can affect the rate of O2 production or consumption in a solution. Phenol can act as a catalyst for certain reactions that involve O2, speeding up the rate of production or consumption. However, it can also inhibit certain reactions, leading to a decrease in the rate of O2 production or consumption.

3. Can the addition of phenol to a solution affect the solubility of O2?

Yes, the addition of phenol can decrease the solubility of O2 in a solution. This is because phenol molecules can interact with O2 molecules and form a complex that is less soluble in the solution. As a result, the amount of O2 that can dissolve in the solution may decrease.

4. Is the effect of phenol on O2 concentration reversible?

The effect of phenol on O2 concentration can be reversible in some cases. If the phenol molecules are not consumed in a reaction and remain in the solution, they can potentially react with the products of the O2 reaction and regenerate O2 molecules. However, if the phenol is consumed in a reaction, the effect on O2 concentration may be irreversible.

5. Can the addition of phenol to a solution affect the pH level?

Yes, the addition of phenol can affect the pH level of a solution. Phenol is a weak acid and can ionize in water, releasing hydrogen ions and lowering the pH. Additionally, phenol can also react with other molecules in the solution, potentially changing the overall pH level. However, the extent of the pH change will depend on the concentration of phenol and other factors in the solution.