1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How would you integrate this function?

1. Apr 11, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to find the coefficients for a fourier expansion. Here is the integral I need to solve: (1/π) ∫sin(x/2)sin(nx)dx where the limits are from -π to π. The original function for the expansion is f(x) = sin(x/2)

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    Should I do this in terms of complex numbers? I think that should be my approach but I am not sure. If this is the right approach can you help me get started with setting up the integral?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2017 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't think so. The usual approach is integration by parts, twice. Here's a link to a similar example, https://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~kouba/CalcTwoDIRECTORY/trigintsoldirectory/TrigIntSol3.html#SOLUTION 24, problem #24

4. Apr 11, 2017 #3

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

use the identity

$$\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\pi} ^{\pi} \sin(nx)\sin(mx) dx = \delta_{nm}$$

and the integral pops right out for you . (i might have the normalization wrong.... off the top of my head....)

5. Apr 11, 2017 #4
    Woah, so you're saying that using the kronecker delta I can just say it is δn (1/2)? Can you walk me through those steps? Does it have something to do with the dirac delta function/identities? If the kronecker truly makes it simpler then I'd rather use that lol.

6. Apr 11, 2017 #5

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

it is a definition....if you write the sine functions in terms of complex exponential's and do the integrals, it comes out very quickly....

7. Apr 11, 2017 #6

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

$$\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}\sin(nx)\sin(mx)dx = \delta_{nm}$$

8. Apr 11, 2017 #7
    Yes I've solved this now- thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted