Fourier Series: Solving Homework Equations for f(x)

In summary, the given function is periodic between -π and π, and the coefficients of its Fourier series are a0 = π, an = -2(1 - (-1)n)/πn2, and bn = 0 (as an even function). By examining the Fourier series at x=π, it can be determined that 1 + 1/32 + 1/52 + 1/72 ... = Σ∞j=1 1/(2j - 1)2 = π2/8.
Poirot

Homework Statement

The following function is periodic between -π and π:

f(x) = |x|
Find the Coefficients of the Fourier series and, by examining the Fourier series at x=π or otherwise, determine:
1 + 1/32 + 1/52 + 1/72 ... = Σj=1 1/(2j - 1)2

Homework Equations

f(x) = a0/2 + ∑n=1 ancos(nx) + bn sin(nx)

a0 = 1/π ∫π f(x) dx
an = 1/π ∫π f(x) cos(nx) dx
bn = 1/π ∫π f(x) sin(nx) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've found the coefficients:
a0 = π
an = -2(1 - (-1)n)/πn2
bn = 0 (as even function)

and so f(x) = π/2 + ∑-2(1 - (-1)n)/πn2 cos(nx)

I don't know how to do the last bit however, I don't really understand if I'm meant to come out with a number or something...
Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Poirot said:

I don't know how to do the last bit however, I don't really understand if I'm meant to come out with a number or something...

Yes. Just plug [itex]x=\pi[/itex] into your expression. (You can see that when [itex]n[/itex] is even, you get 0, so you only have to consider the case for [itex]n[/itex] is odd.)

Poirot said:

Homework Statement

The following function is periodic between -π and π:

f(x) = |x|
Find the Coefficients of the Fourier series and, by examining the Fourier series at x=π or otherwise, determine:
1 + 1/32 + 1/52 + 1/72 ... = Σj=1 1/(2j - 1)2

Homework Equations

f(x) = a0/2 + ∑n=1 ancos(nx) + bn sin(nx)

a0 = 1/π ∫π f(x) dx
an = 1/π ∫π f(x) cos(nx) dx
bn = 1/π ∫π f(x) sin(nx) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've found the coefficients:
a0 = π
an = -2(1 - (-1)n)/πn2
bn = 0 (as even function)

Yes, they expect a value for ##\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(2n-1)²}##.

You have computed the Fourier series, and found ##\displaystyle |x|=\frac{\pi}{2}- \frac{2}{\pi}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(1-(-1)^n)}{n²}\cos(nx)##.

What you have to do next is actually stated in the question: "examining the Fourier series at x=π". In other words, set x=π in your Fourier series.

Last edited:
Ok, Yeah I've done that and get

π/2 +4/π∑1/n^2 (From n=1 to ∞ for n odd only)

And can't see how to get rid of the π/2 or 4/π

Thanks

Poirot said:
Ok, Yeah I've done that and get

π/2 +4/π∑1/n^2 (From n=1 to ∞ for n odd only)

And can't see how to get rid of the π/2 or 4/π

Thanks
Take another look at it: You have ## \pi=\pi/2+(4/\pi)(...) ## The rest is algebra.

Charles Link said:
Take another look at it: You have ## \pi=\pi/2+(4/\pi)(...) ## The rest is algebra.
Thank you for your help, after doing a few more questions I finally understood the point of the question and I got an answer of π2/8.

Likes Charles Link

Related to Fourier Series: Solving Homework Equations for f(x)

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sines and cosines. It is used to approximate a given function by breaking it down into simpler components.

2. Why do we use Fourier series?

Fourier series are useful for solving problems in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. They allow us to model and analyze complex periodic functions in a simpler and more manageable way.

3. How do you find the coefficients for a Fourier series?

The coefficients for a Fourier series can be found by using the Fourier series formula, which involves calculating integrals and solving for the coefficients using orthogonality properties of sine and cosine functions.

4. What is the difference between a Fourier series and a Fourier transform?

A Fourier series is used for periodic functions, while a Fourier transform is used for non-periodic functions. A Fourier series breaks down a function into a sum of sine and cosine functions, while a Fourier transform converts a function from the time domain to the frequency domain.

5. How can I use a Fourier series to solve homework equations for f(x)?

To solve homework equations for f(x) using a Fourier series, you will need to follow the steps of finding the coefficients and substituting them into the Fourier series formula. You will also need to understand the properties of sine and cosine functions and how to manipulate them to solve the given equation.