HS students: what's a 'C' on your grade scale?

In summary: A would've been a C or D at my current school.In summary, my sister's school has a grade scale of A = (90-100), B = (80-89), C = (70-79), D = (60-69) and F = 59 and below. A = (90-100), B= (80-89), C = (70-79), D= (60-69) and F = 59 and below.
Mine were as follows:

93-100 = A
85-92 = B
77-84 = C
70-76 = D
0-69 =F

Standard 7 point grading scale. I was relieved when I got to college and found out how much slack you get.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bourbaki1123 said:
Mine were as follows:

93-100 = A
85-92 = B
77-84 = C
70-76 = D
0-69 =F

Standard 7 point grading scale. I was relieved when I got to college and found out how much slack you get.

I'm in South Carolina with the Uniform Grading Scale, and that is what we use.

GPA is a different animal though, what with APs and IBs and all... I'm not even 100% sure how the GPA's are calculated anymore. I just do what I can and hope for the best.

(Highschool)
A - (95 - 100)
B - (88 - 94)
C - (76 - 87)
D - (70 - 75)
F - (69 and below)

EDIT: Public school.

jgg said:
(Highschool)
A - (95 - 100)
B - (88 - 94)
C - (76 - 87)
D - (70 - 75)
F - (69 and below)

EDIT: Public school.

Yikes. Do your teachers curve the tests? How about the GPA?

Wellesley said:
Yikes. Do your teachers curve the tests? How about the GPA?

Tests are sometimes curved; not usually. GPA is not curved. The only "help" we get is with AP/honors classes; you get a slight grade multiplier at the end of the semester. I look at it this way: when I go to college and 'only' get a 91, I won't be disappointed.

Second thought: we're also not allowed to have a GPA above a 4.0. So if you do what I did and forget to turn something in and get a 94 in biology, you can never bring your GPA back up above a 4.0. But most colleges ask for the GPA out of a 4.0 scale, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Here in Argentina we deal with a decimal scale. Curiously in Physics II (thermodynamics) we are evaluated by A-B-C-D letters. C is a fail as D.
They don't curve any test nor exam even if 75% of the class fail on the final exam and must retake it a year later, or 6 months later. By the time students can delay in their path and graduate in more than 5 years for the bachelor's degree. The good side of this system is that it let pass only the students that really know the material. A 4/10 is a success but corresponds roughly to do well 60% of the exam.
So to answer this thread, a C is around 40-59% and is a fail.

jgg said:
Second thought: we're also not allowed to have a GPA above a 4.0. So if you do what I did and forget to turn something in and get a 94 in biology, you can never bring your GPA back up above a 4.0. But most colleges ask for the GPA out of a 4.0 scale, so I guess it doesn't matter.

So you can have over a 4.0, but only the first time? If you take an AP/honors class and get an A (with an initial GPA of 3.9), you can't get over a 4.0?

Wellesley said:
So you can have over a 4.0, but only the first time? If you take an AP/honors class and get an A (with an initial GPA of 3.9), you can't get over a 4.0?

Right. You can never correct that; once you get a B or lower, you can a 117 in every class after that, but they cut the grades off at 100 so you'll get a 3.989 but will never get a 4.0.

Math Is Hard said:
Yes, it's just a percentage. 90 = 90% correct

Dracovich, I agree with you - there should be a universal system, but I don't know if there is any hope of ever having an international standard for grading if the U.S. scales aren't even consistent among public schools in the same state!

That's why the SAT scores are way more important than the gpa in an application to universities.

Math Is Hard said:
Yes, it's just a percentage. 90 = 90% correct

Dracovich, I agree with you - there should be a universal system, but I don't know if there is any hope of ever having an international standard for grading if the U.S. scales aren't even consistent among public schools in the same state!

Plus, even if there was a universal system, it would be useless as you can't just compare the grades of two people from two different schools.