Huge Hole Found in the Universe

In summary: Summary: In summary, an article from space.com by Robert Roy Britt in 2007 discusses a large empty space in the universe that is devoid of normal matter and dark matter. This space is about a billion light-years across and its temperature is slightly colder than the rest of the universe. The cause of this cold spot is still being studied and some theories suggest it could be the imprint of another universe beyond our own. There are other known voids in the universe, with the largest being the Boötes Void at 330 million light-years across. However, the existence and size of this void mentioned in the article is still unconfirmed and the article is 13 years old.
etotheipi said:
When I saw the title, I thought of this:
View attachment 271324
Huh. When I saw the title, I thought it was about the American leadership.

• Haha
Likes phinds
Astronomy news on Phys.org
bob012345 said:
I really don't know how you can say the source is 'unreliable'?

Because it isn't a textbook or peer-reviewed paper, and it has no math. The credentials of the author don't help any given that, as far as using the reference as a basis for discussion for a PF thread is concerned.

bob012345 said:
I'm fine to move my questions to the relativity forum.

Meaning that you start a new thread when you can find a better reference.

Moderator's note: Some off topic posts regarding wormholes and black holes have been deleted.

Buzz Bloom said:
Summary:: This is from an article in space.com by by Robert Roy Britt August 23, 2007.
The hole is nearly a billion light-years across. This one is mostly devoid of stars, gas and other normal matter, and it's also strangely empty of the mysterious "dark matter" that permeates the cosmos.
Other space voids have been found before, but nothing on this scale.

https://www.space.com/4271-huge-hole-universe.html

I would much appreciate any links cited to more information about this hole, especially more recent information. I would also appreciate any information to clarify the following questions.

How much baryonic matter is actually present (taking into account “mostly devoid”)?

Is is mostly hydrogen gas, i.e., either atomic H or H2?

How is this measured?

How it is possible to ascertain the amount (or absence) of dark matter present (taking into account that the presence of dark matter is usually calculated by the pattern of orbits of baryonic matter in a galaxy)?

How big are other space voids (presumably having no stars)?

How far away from Earth are these other voids?

ADDED:
The link at the top. I apologize for forgetting to put it in. I blame it on a senior moment. Thank you @phinds for reminding me.
My religious friends keep telling me the universe is holey.

• Haha
Likes bob012345 and phinds