Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Human methane production

1. Dec 7, 2007 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Theoreticaly if all one ate all day was a cornish pasty, how much methane could said pasty produce.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2007 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'm just glad to say that my days of flatulence are gone. I haven't changed my diet, so it's a mystery. I don't think that cornish pasties would havemuch fiber, so they wouldn't produce much flatulence.

4. Dec 7, 2007 #3

Tsu

Gold Member

Can't be calculated - every 'body' is different. Now, Evo may produce a big zero on the flatulance scale, :biggrin: but I'm quite sure there are numerous members on this board who'd blow the lid right off the scale!! (so to speak...) :wink: :rofl:

5. Dec 7, 2007 #4

wolram

Gold Member

I think i have discovered a biological over unity power source, it may be just a flash in the pants but if it pans out i could be famous.

6. Dec 7, 2007 #5
    Thats because women dont fart - ever. When they go to the bathroom flowers come out. You *never* hear a girl rip one. Guys on the other hand, give kudos to eachother on how loud they fart.

7. Dec 7, 2007 #6
    Its the turnips{high fiber} that make them so lively.

8. Dec 7, 2007 #7

wolram

Gold Member

The mass to gas ratio would have to be about 5,000%

9. Dec 8, 2007 #8

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, your average Cornish pasty weighing 500g is probably, what, 10% carbon? So 50g carbon, at 12g/mol, would be 4.2 moles of carbon. Methane is CH4; molar mass 16g/mol, and you're a Wooly and therefore a mass balance. Given your general history of flatulence I'd reckon most of the pasty goes to produce methane rather than CO2 (it comes out of your arse, not your mouth), so probably something like 65g of Methane released per day per pasty.

Disclaimer: Not all science in this thread is real.

10. Dec 8, 2007 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

Someone light a match!

11. Dec 8, 2007 #10

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No! Wolram only lives about 50 miles from me. If the blast didn't kill me, the fallout would.

12. Dec 8, 2007 #11

Danger

Gold Member

:rofl: Those are two of the funniest things that I've read here all year. You guys should team up for the ribbon. (And that's not just because being English makes you inherently laughable...)

13. Dec 8, 2007 #12

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I hear Drax has been given a target of 10% biofuel for 2010.

Wooly! If you're up for it, you could be producing 0.7% of the UK's power within 3 years! Get collecting!

14. Dec 8, 2007 #13

Danger

Gold Member

Never mind Drax; it's Lexx that we have to worry about.

15. Dec 8, 2007 #14

turbo

Gold Member

Have you developed the collection pipes and (ahem) human-to-collection interface yet?

Pull my finger!

16. Dec 9, 2007 #15

wolram

Gold Member

It is not very funny when ones guts feel like a chemistry set, heck i near blew all the water out of the pan one time, that pasty lasted 36hrs, If some one can replicate my innards a Nobel prize a sure thing.

17. Dec 9, 2007 #16
    (I've posted this before)
    I told my doctor I was passing gas silent but deadly, and he prescribed a hearing aid.

18. Dec 9, 2007 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Isn't a pasty mostly just meat and dough? What are you using for seasoning, E. coli?

19. Dec 9, 2007 #18

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's not dough, it's pastry! And the filling is steak, onion, and potato; occasionally with some swede, and always seasoned well with salt and pepper.

20. Dec 9, 2007 #19
    I saw we serve it with some chili on the side and have ourselves a PF barbecue, then we'll give Drax a real run for their money

21. Dec 9, 2007 #20

turbo

Gold Member

I'll bring a big bowl of my wife's wonderful black-bean "hummus" (it's a spicy hot black bean dip with chili peppers) and then get back a safe distance from Woolie. If a pastry crust full of steak, onion, and potato can gas him up, my wife's black bean dip would qualify him OPEC membership.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?