HW help Finding the diameter of a hole punched in a wall.

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving finding the maximum diameter of a hole that can be punched into a sheet of polystryrene. The solution involves using the shearing stress and the circumference of the hole to calculate the shear area, resulting in a different answer than initially obtained. The conversation also expresses gratitude for the helpful responses received at an early hour.
tadisc

Homework Statement

Like the title says, I have a homework problem that asks for the maximum diameter of a hole that can be punched into a sheet of polystryrene 6 mm thick, knowing that the force exerted by the punch is 45 kN and that a 55 MPa average shearing stress is required to cause the material to fail.

Homework Equations

τ = P/A
τ = ((1/2)F)/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply made the cross sectional area A = (0.006 m)(D) then plugged that in and solved for D.

55 x 10^6 Pa = 45000 N/(0.006 m)(D)

and I keep getting D = 68.3 mm. BUT the back of the book claims it to be 43.4 mm. What am I doing wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF tadisc! :smile:
tadisc said:

Homework Statement

Like the title says, I have a homework problem that asks for the maximum diameter of a hole that can be punched into a sheet of polystryrene 6 mm thick, knowing that the force exerted by the punch is 45 kN and that a 55 MPa average shearing stress is required to cause the material to fail.

Homework Equations

τ = P/A
τ = ((1/2)F)/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply made the cross sectional area A = (0.006 m)(D) then plugged that in and solved for D.

55 x 10^6 Pa = 45000 N/(0.006 m)(D)

and I keep getting D = 68.3 mm. BUT the back of the book claims it to be 43.4 mm. What am I doing wrong??

It seems like the area that is relevant for shear stress is the area of the "inner lining" of the hole. If you imagine "unwrapping" this circular strip, you end up with a rectangle whose width is the hole thickness, and whose length is the circumference of the hole. But the circumference of the hole is πD, not just D. :wink:

The shearing stress is developed around the circumference of the hole. Try using the circumference of the hole and the thickness of the styrene to calculate shear area.

wow, thank you so much. that does make sense now that you put it that way. I plugged it an got the right answer. This is my first time using this site, and i was beyond impressed with the time of the response, and the quality of the responses, especially at 3:00 am. Thank you so much! :D

tadisc said:
wow, thank you so much. that does make sense now that you put it that way. I plugged it an got the right answer. This is my first time using this site, and i was beyond impressed with the time of the response, and the quality of the responses, especially at 3:00 am. Thank you so much! :D

Yeah, and the sad part is, I actually AM in the Eastern time zone, so it really is 3:30 am for me. Time to go to sleep...:zzz:

What is the formula for finding the diameter of a hole punched in a wall?

The formula for finding the diameter of a hole punched in a wall is: Diameter = 2 x Radius

How do I measure the radius of a hole punched in a wall?

To measure the radius of a hole punched in a wall, you will need a ruler or measuring tape. Place the measuring tool at the center of the hole and measure to the edge of the hole. This measurement will be the radius.

What units should I use when measuring the diameter of a hole punched in a wall?

The units used to measure the diameter of a hole punched in a wall will depend on the units used to measure the radius. If the radius is measured in inches, then the diameter will also be in inches. If the radius is measured in centimeters, then the diameter will also be in centimeters.

Can I use any object to measure the diameter of a hole punched in a wall?

Ideally, you should use a ruler or measuring tape to accurately measure the diameter of a hole punched in a wall. However, if these tools are not available, you can use any object with a straight edge, such as a book or credit card, to estimate the diameter.

Why is it important to know the diameter of a hole punched in a wall?

Knowing the diameter of a hole punched in a wall is important for a few reasons. It can help determine the size of the hole and whether it needs to be repaired. It can also be used to calculate the area of the hole, which can then be used to estimate the amount of material needed to fill the hole.