Sheer stress due to a hole puncher

In summary, a hole punch has a diameter of 8mm and presses onto 10 sheets of paper with a force of 6.7kN. If each sheet of paper is of thickness .2mm, the shear stress is 1.3x10^8 Pa.
maxxed
A hole punch has a diameter of 8mm and presses onto 10 sheets of paper with force of 6.7kN. IF each sheet of paper is of thickness .2mm, find the shear stress. [HINT: Be careful in decing what area to use. Remember that a shear force acts parallel to the surface whose area is relavant.]

shear stress= F/A

can anybody help me with this question from Physics by Giambattista.
The answer is supposed to be 1.3x10^8 Pa but i can't go about figuring out how they reach the answer.

tia

Physics news on Phys.org
maxxed said:
A hole punch has a diameter of 8mm and presses onto 10 sheets of paper with force of 6.7kN. IF each sheet of paper is of thickness .2mm, find the shear stress. [HINT: Be careful in decing what area to use. Remember that a shear force acts parallel to the surface whose area is relavant.]

shear stress= F/A

can anybody help me with this question from Physics by Giambattista.
The answer is supposed to be 1.3x10^8 Pa but i can't go about figuring out how they reach the answer.

tia
you were given the hint on which area to use. The paper must punch through by forces acting parallel to the direction of the applied force. Consider the circumference of the punch and the depth of the punctured paper.

hmm

I get an answer an order of magnitude off by just taking 6.7E3 / (10*(pi*(0.004m)^2)) = 1.33E7.

That's just using 10*[area one side of circle formed by holepunch]. Doesn't take into account the paper thickness, which may be why it's wrong. Maybe your book has a relevant example in the section?

sippyCUP said:
I get an answer an order of magnitude off by just taking 6.7E3 / (10*(pi*(0.004m)^2)) = 1.33E7.

That's just using 10*[area one side of circle formed by holepunch]. Doesn't take into account the paper thickness, which may be why it's wrong. Maybe your book has a relevant example in the section?
You're using the wrong values. The shear area which is parallel to the applied force has nothing to do with the surface area of the punch. And the shear stress depends on the shear area which must depend on the thickness of the paper sheets and the circumference of the 8mm circle.

Diagram attached.

Attachments

• pressure.jpg
    pressure.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 1,008
thanks for the input and the diagram everybody.

1. What is sheer stress?

Sheer stress is a type of stress that occurs when an object is subjected to forces that cause it to slide or slip along a surface. It is also known as tangential stress.

2. How does a hole puncher cause sheer stress?

When a hole puncher is used, the sharp edges of the punch create a concentrated force on the surface of the paper, causing it to tear and creating sheer stress. This stress is highest at the edges of the hole and decreases towards the center.

3. Is the sheer stress the same for all hole sizes?

No, the sheer stress will vary depending on the size of the hole. The larger the hole, the greater the sheer stress will be at the edges.

4. Can sheer stress be measured?

Yes, sheer stress can be measured using a variety of instruments such as strain gauges, shearometers, or rheometers. These devices measure the amount of force applied to a material and the resulting deformation or strain.

5. How can sheer stress be reduced?

Sheer stress can be reduced by using a hole puncher with a sharper blade, using thinner paper, or punching the hole at a slower speed. Additionally, using lubricants or coatings on the puncher can also help reduce sheer stress.