Q: Solve Poiseuille's Law for Volume Flow Rate

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nathan phisi
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Nathan phisi
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A large tank contains oil with a viscosity of η = 7.5 Pa s. The tank has walls and floor which are 2 cm thick, but there is a small circular hole at the base of the tank through which oil is leaking. The fluid pressure at the base of the tank is 126 kPa (atmospheric pressure is 101 kPa) and the radius of the hole is 1.5 mm. What is the volume flow rate at which the oil is leaking out of the tank (in m3 s −1 )?

(A) 1.2 × 10−3 (B) 7.1 × 10−4 (C) 2.7 × 10−5 (D) 4.1 × 10−6 (E) 3.3 × 10−7

Homework Equations


Poiseulle law equation (maybe)

The Attempt at a Solution


I'm pretty sure this has to do with Poiseulle's law, because of the variables. I have all variables for the P law equation (given in the equation) except length (and the needed flowrate). I do have trouble with 2 variables being unknown, so a little help with that would be greatly appreciated :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh dang, you're right, the length was 0.02m. Don't ask me how long I was on this question and didn't click. Thanks!