HX711 query (Amp/ADC for load cells)

In summary, the datasheet says that the input range can be ±20 mV when a 5 V supply is connected to AVDD. For a gain of 128, the +ve must be +20 mV and the -ve must be -20 mV. If you are using strain gauges in a Wheatstone bridge, this will change.
volican
For the HX711 (data sheet here) I am a bit confused by what it expects as the input voltages. I think its this bit that is relevant:

"Channel A can be programmed with a gain of 128 or 64, corresponding to a full-scale differential input voltage of ±20mV or ±40mV respectively, when a 5V supply is connected to AVDD analog power supply pin. Channel B has a fixed gain of 32."

Does that mean that if I want a gain of 128 the +ve must be +20mv and the -ve must be -20mv? What If I am using strain gauges in a Wheatstone bridge that will change? FYI for my project I plan to use a 3V button cell. What impact will that have? Just to confirm when they say gain do they mean that my output will be (+ve)-(-ve)*128?

Thank you very much for your help :)

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
volican said:
Does that mean that if I want a gain of 128 the +ve must be +20mv and the -ve must be -20mv?

The first of the "Key Electrical Characteristics", the full scale differential input range, needs to be followed. If exceeded, clipping of the input signal or physical damage could occur.

According to this line of the datasheet, for AVDD of 5 V and gain of 128, this results in +/- 20 mV. Take the +20 mV case for example, this is described as being equal to "V(inp) - V(inn)". This puts V(inp) at 10 mV and V(inn) at -10 mV.

You can experiment with this device by applying this differential voltage (with AVDD = 5 V and gain = 128) and verify that you indeed get a full scale ADC result.

Thanks. Do the gain values have to stay as 128 or 64 or can they be a wide range of values. Could I just rearrange that formula to find what the gain will be? Does the HX711 work like that or is it saying that the gain can only be 128 or 64 and this is a limitation that the rest of the circuit will have to accommodate?
Many thanks for your help, that really helped me out. Was staring at it for hours.

Looks like the gain on channel A can only be 128 or 64. Page 5 of the referenced datasheet shows how to do this.

Thanks a lot. Really appreciated.

1. What is an HX711?

The HX711 is a precision analog-to-digital converter (ADC) designed for weighing scales and industrial control applications. It includes a 24-bit analog-to-digital converter (ADC) and a programmable gain amplifier (PGA) to accurately measure load cells and convert analog signals to digital data.

2. How does an HX711 work?

The HX711 works by amplifying the low-level analog signal from a load cell and converting it to a digital signal. The PGA provides selectable gains of 32, 64, and 128, allowing for a wide range of load cell inputs. The ADC then converts the amplified signal into a 24-bit digital value, which can be read by a microcontroller or other digital device.

3. What are the main features of an HX711?

The main features of an HX711 include a wide operating voltage range (2.7V to 5V), low noise and offset, selectable gains, and a high sampling rate of up to 80 samples per second. It also has an internal oscillator for clock generation and a power-down mode for low power consumption.

4. How do I connect an HX711 to a load cell?

The HX711 has two input channels, one for the positive (excitation) terminal of the load cell and one for the negative (signal) terminal. The excitation voltage and ground should be connected to the respective pins on the HX711, and the signal output should be connected to the HX711's signal input. It is important to follow the correct wiring diagram and use appropriate wiring and shielding to minimize noise and ensure accurate readings.

5. What is the output format of an HX711?

The HX711 outputs digital data in a two's complement format, with a resolution of 24 bits. This means that the output values range from -2^23 to 2^23-1, with a step size of 1/2^23. The actual weight or force measurement can be calculated by converting the digital value to a weight or force value using the calibration data and equations provided by the HX711 datasheet.