1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Op amp in circuit: find load current

1. Feb 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://imageshack.us/a/img27/7043/homeworktest2prob5.jpg [Broken]

Find the load current IL (in microamperes) in the circuit.

2. Relevant equations

V = IR

KCL, KVL,

voltage division, current division,

Op-Amp Output V = (Gain)(V+ - V-)

(Gain) = -Rf / Rin

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure how to figure out the voltages at the nodes before the inputs to the op-amp

I think the gain is just -5k / 10k

I'm pretty sure all I would need to figure out is the input node voltage or whatever the Vin is for each input.

But I'm guessing:

V out = (5V - 3V)(-5kΩ/10kΩ) = -1V

IL = -1V/4000Ω

= -250μA

?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2013 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps check here...

http://www.ustudy.in/node/2939 [Broken]

Your circuit doesn't have an R3 so substitute R3=0 into the transfer equation.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Feb 25, 2013 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Color_of_Cyan, do you know the basic characteristics/properties of an ideal op-amp? Can you describe them?

If you know these basic things and the rule about the potential difference between the op-amp's inputs when there's feedback from the output to the negative input then you will be able to derive the output voltage fairly easily from the diagram.

5. Feb 25, 2013 #4
    CWatters, woops it did have a resistor there, I fixed it now though.

Thanks... although that's kind of weird. Is there any way to derive that? Or are you supposed to know for each type of op amp?

I still got V out = -1V with that by the way.

And the current through the 4k out is still -1A / 4000 ohms right?

gneill I really don't; my professor went through it pretty fast. I looked something up though and says that the + and - inside is connected by a resistor with a big value and the gain is supposed to be high.

The output is supposed to also be between here -5V to 5V.

That's pretty much all I know

6. Feb 25, 2013 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the gain of the opamp is very high then the +ve and -ve inputs must have very similar voltages or the output will saturate (be driven to the supply rail). For example if the opamp had a gain of 100,000 and the max output swing was say +/- 5V then the inputs cannot differ by more than 5/100,000 = 50uV or it will saturate.

In your circuit you can easily work out the voltage on the +ve input using the potential divider rule. Then using the above you know that the -ve input will be at a very similar voltage. Then you can look at the currents through the 5k and 10k to work out the output voltage.

Aside: On many opamp circuits (eg simple inverter) the +ve pin is 0V (or earth). Therefore if the amplifier is designed to operate in it's normal linear mode the -ve input must also be very close to 0V. This is known as a "virtual earth" because although it's not connected to 0V(earth) the -ve pin must be very close to it.

7. Feb 25, 2013 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For example..

+ve pin...
    3 * 3/9 = 1V

therefore -ve pin must also be 1V or very close to it!

Current through 10K resistor is

(Vin-1)/10K = 4/10k

Current through 5K resistor is

(1-Vout)/5K

These currents are the same as "none" goes in the -ve Pin (high impedance inputs).

Solve to give Vout = -1V

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted