Op amp in circuit: find load current

In summary, to find the load current IL (in microamperes) in the circuit, you can use the equations V = IR, KCL, KVL, voltage division, and current division. The gain of the op-amp can be calculated using the equation (Gain) = -Rf / Rin. The output voltage can be found by using the potential divider rule and understanding the properties of an ideal op-amp, such as its high gain and virtual earth. The load current can then be calculated using the equation IL = -1V/4000Ω.
Color_of_Cyan

Homework Statement

http://imageshack.us/a/img27/7043/homeworktest2prob5.jpg Find the load current IL (in microamperes) in the circuit.

Homework Equations

V = IR

KCL, KVL,

voltage division, current division,Op-Amp Output V = (Gain)(V+ - V-)(Gain) = -Rf / Rin

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to figure out the voltages at the nodes before the inputs to the op-amp

I think the gain is just -5k / 10k

I'm pretty sure all I would need to figure out is the input node voltage or whatever the Vin is for each input.But I'm guessing:

V out = (5V - 3V)(-5kΩ/10kΩ) = -1V

IL = -1V/4000Ω

= -250μA

?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps check here...

http://www.ustudy.in/node/2939

Your circuit doesn't have an R3 so substitute R3=0 into the transfer equation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Color_of_Cyan, do you know the basic characteristics/properties of an ideal op-amp? Can you describe them?

If you know these basic things and the rule about the potential difference between the op-amp's inputs when there's feedback from the output to the negative input then you will be able to derive the output voltage fairly easily from the diagram.

CWatters, woops it did have a resistor there, I fixed it now though.

Thanks... although that's kind of weird. Is there any way to derive that? Or are you supposed to know for each type of op amp?

I still got V out = -1V with that by the way. And the current through the 4k out is still -1A / 4000 ohms right?gneill I really don't; my professor went through it pretty fast. I looked something up though and says that the + and - inside is connected by a resistor with a big value and the gain is supposed to be high.

The output is supposed to also be between here -5V to 5V.

That's pretty much all I know

If the gain of the opamp is very high then the +ve and -ve inputs must have very similar voltages or the output will saturate (be driven to the supply rail). For example if the opamp had a gain of 100,000 and the max output swing was say +/- 5V then the inputs cannot differ by more than 5/100,000 = 50uV or it will saturate.

In your circuit you can easily work out the voltage on the +ve input using the potential divider rule. Then using the above you know that the -ve input will be at a very similar voltage. Then you can look at the currents through the 5k and 10k to work out the output voltage.

Aside: On many opamp circuits (eg simple inverter) the +ve pin is 0V (or earth). Therefore if the amplifier is designed to operate in it's normal linear mode the -ve input must also be very close to 0V. This is known as a "virtual earth" because although it's not connected to 0V(earth) the -ve pin must be very close to it.

In your circuit you can easily work out the voltage on the +ve input using the potential divider rule. Then using the above you know that the -ve input will be at a very similar voltage. Then you can look at the currents through the 5k and 10k to work out the output voltage.

For example..

+ve pin...
3 * 3/9 = 1V

therefore -ve pin must also be 1V or very close to it!

Current through 10K resistor is

(Vin-1)/10K = 4/10k

Current through 5K resistor is

(1-Vout)/5K

These currents are the same as "none" goes in the -ve Pin (high impedance inputs).

Solve to give Vout = -1V

1. What is an op amp?

An op amp, short for operational amplifier, is an electronic component that amplifies the difference between two input voltages. It has a high gain and is commonly used in electronic circuits for various applications such as signal processing and amplification.

2. How does an op amp work?

An op amp typically has two inputs, referred to as the non-inverting and inverting inputs, and one output. The output voltage is proportional to the difference between the two input voltages, and the gain of the op amp determines the amplification factor.

3. How can I find the load current in an op amp circuit?

To find the load current in an op amp circuit, you need to first determine the voltage across the load (Rload) using Ohm's law (V=IR), where I is the load current. Then, use the voltage divider rule to calculate the voltage at the inverting input of the op amp. Finally, use the op amp's gain equation (Vout = A(Vin+ - Vin-)) to find the output voltage, which can then be used to calculate the load current (I=Vout/Rload).

4. What is the difference between virtual ground and actual ground in an op amp circuit?

In an ideal op amp, the inverting and non-inverting inputs have infinite input impedance, meaning that no current flows into these inputs. This results in a virtual ground, where the voltage at both inputs is equal. In a real op amp circuit, there is some input current, and the voltage at the non-inverting input is slightly different from the inverting input, creating a small voltage difference known as the offset voltage. This offset voltage is typically very small and can be considered as a virtual ground in most practical applications.

5. How can I choose the right op amp for my circuit?

Choosing the right op amp for your circuit depends on various factors such as the required gain, input and output voltage ranges, bandwidth, and power supply requirements. It is essential to carefully consider these specifications and select an op amp that meets the specific requirements of your circuit. Additionally, factors such as cost, availability, and package type should also be taken into consideration.