1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydraulic ram force calculation help?

1. Nov 7, 2012 #1
    Hi, I was wondering how to calculate the force of a hydraulic ram in Newtons if the piston diametre is 20mm and the oil pressure is 52 bars. I would like it if someone could explain the formula as i can only find it with psi and imperial units on google. Also I have the shaft diametre of 4mm, I don't know if this is relevant

Thanks
    Jim

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2012 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Formulas are generally given so that they work with consistent units. Are newtons, mm, and bars consistent units?

4. Nov 7, 2012 #3
    I don't know. I probably sound a bit thick but I'm doing some homework for college and its beyond me.

5. Nov 7, 2012 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, show us the formula you found online. We can start with that.

6. Nov 7, 2012 #5
    Ok here is the question. Calculate the force of the hydraulic ram when the oil pressure is 52 bars, the piston diameter is 20mm and the rod diameter is 4mm. I understand that I multiply the pressure by the area of the piston but I'm not sure weather I need to convert anything.
    Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook