Hydrodynamic entrance length: independent of Re?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
MichielM
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Hi all,
I have learned that the hydrodynamic entrance length of a channel (to form fully developed laminar flow) is correlated to the Reynolds number, because the shear effects have to propagate inwards from the walls of the channel. However recently I found out that there is a 'minimum' to the dependence on the reynolds number, for example in Deen (Analysis of transport phenomena) I find for a cylindrical tube:
[tex]\frac{L_v}{R}=1.18+0.112 Re[/tex] with [tex]Re=\frac{2 U R}{\nu}[/tex]
With R the radius and [tex]L_v[/tex] the entrance length.

The Reynolds dependent term in this equation I can understand (and derive), but I do not know what effect is responsible for the 'offset'. Can anyone explain to me why this occurs?

Thanks in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Even for creeping flow, there has got to be some sort of entrance length. The equation is just a rough approximation.