Hydrogen 1S-2S transition frequency

In summary, the conversation revolves around recent measurements and calculations of the hydrogen 1S-2S transition frequency. The reported experimental value is 2466.061 THz, while theoretical calculations using the "exact fine-structure formula for hydrogen" and a QM text give values of 2467.554 THz and 2467.401 THz respectively. The discrepancy can potentially be explained by the effects of fine structure, hyperfine structure, and higher-order QED effects such as the Lamb shift, which are discussed and referenced in the conversation. Ultimately, in order to get highly accurate values for transition energies, one must go beyond undergraduate-level quantum physics.
Aether
Gold Member
I'm reading some papers on recent measurements of the hydrogen 1S-2S transition frequency, and they report 2466.061 THz (with about nine additional digits of precision :smile:). However, when I calculate this frequency from the "exact fine-structure formula for hydrogen" (using 1S(n=1,j=0) and 2S(n=2,j=0) I get 2467.554 THz. Has anyone here computed a theoretical value for this transition frequency, and if so what number did you get?

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually when physicists measure something precisely, it's to compare it against some theory. Don't those papers do that, or at least have references to theoretical calculations?

jtbell said:
Usually when physicists measure something precisely, it's to compare it against some theory. Don't those papers do that, or at least have references to theoretical calculations?
"This paper describes the theoretical model used to analyze the experimental hydrogen spectra." -- A. Huber et al., High-resolution spectroscopy of the 1S-2S transition in atomic hydrogen, Physical Review A 59(3), 1844 (1999), but it seems to be an analysis of the spectrometer per se rather than a prediction of the transition frequency. The only guidance that I have seen in these papers wrt to predicting the transition frequency are general references to QM texts. I'm now predicting 2467.401 THz using a QM text by D.J. Griffiths as a guide, and this page http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hyde.html#c4 (Z=1, n_2=2, n_1=1) has an online calculator that gives a wavelength of 121.502231393543 nm which translates to 2467.382 THz. My calculation agrees with the one generated by this online calculator much better than either one of them agrees with the experimental value.

This paper describes an experimental determination of the 1S-2S transition frequency: M. Niering et al., Measurement of the Hydrogen 1S-2S Transition Frequency by Phase Coherent Comparison with a Microwave Cesium Fountain Clock, Physical Review Letters 84(24), 5496 (2000)), and reports a measured value of the transition frequency of: 2 466 061 413 187 104(46) Hz.

Last edited:
Aether said:
I'm now predicting 2467.401 THz using a QM text by D.J. Griffiths as a guide, and this page http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hyde.html#c4 (Z=1, n_2=2, n_1=1) has an online calculator that gives a wavelength of 121.502231393543 nm which translates to 2467.382 THz.
,,,,,Physical Review Letters 84(24), 5496 (2000)), and reports a measured value of the transition frequency of: 2 466 061 413 187 104(46) Hz.

Did you take into account fine structure; i.e.,the energy difference of the spin -orbit coupling ?

Creator:wink:

Oops.:zzz:

Apparently, fine structure won't be enough to cover the discrepancy;...
...try re-calculating using the 'reduced mass'.
That gives a corrected difference from the Bohr/Schrodinger formula which may account for the discrepancy.

Creator

Last edited:
There are also corrections due to hyperfine structure, and higher-order QED effects such as the Lamb shift. Atomic physics isn't my field, so I don't know how big these effects are for this transition, offhand, or where to look for detailed calculations.

At any rate, in order to get really accurate values for transition energies, you have to go beyond undergraduate-level quantum physics.

Hi Aether,

I assume by "exact fine structure" you mean the Dirac energies. You will definitely have to include the hyperfine structure (the finite size of the nucleus has a relatively strong effect on the 1s state for example) and also the Lamb shift. If you have a library about I suggest you pick up the book "Physics of Atoms and Molecules" by Bransden and Joachim for further information.

I find it amusing that even good ol' hydrogen is insanely complicated; physics is fun.

Last edited:
Creator said:
Oops.:zzz:

Apparently, fine structure won't be enough to cover the discrepancy;...
...try re-calculating using the 'reduced mass'.
That gives a corrected difference from the Bohr/Schrodinger formula which may account for the discrepancy.

Creator
Using the reduced mass I get 2466.058 THz vs. the experimentally determined value of 2466.061 THz. Haha...the online calculator is wrong. Thanks.

jtbell said:
There are also corrections due to hyperfine structure, and higher-order QED effects such as the Lamb shift. Atomic physics isn't my field, so I don't know how big these effects are for this transition, offhand, or where to look for detailed calculations.

At any rate, in order to get really accurate values for transition energies, you have to go beyond undergraduate-level quantum physics.
Yes, the paper (M. Niering et al., 2000) includes a correction for hyperfine splitting of f_hf=310 712 233(13) Hz. A different paper (Th. Udem et al., PRL 79(14), 2646 (1997)) gives the 1S-Lamb shift as 8172.876(29) MHz. Thanks.

Physics Monkey said:
Hi Aether,

I assume by "exact fine structure" you mean the Dirac energies. You will definitely have to include the hyperfine structure (the finite size of the nucleus has a relatively strong effect on the 1s state for example) and also the Lamb shift. If you have a library about I suggest you pick up the book "Physics of Atoms and Molecules" by Bransden and Joachim for further information.

I find it amusing that even good ol' hydrogen is insanely complicated; physics is fun.
Hi Physics Monkey,
Yes, that is what I (D.J. Griffiths actually) mean by "exact fine structure". I'll keep that book in mind. Thanks.

Last edited:

1. What is the Hydrogen 1S-2S transition frequency?

The Hydrogen 1S-2S transition frequency is the energy difference between the ground state (1S) and first excited state (2S) of a hydrogen atom. It is measured in units of Hertz (Hz) and has a value of approximately 2.47 x 10^15 Hz.

2. Why is the Hydrogen 1S-2S transition frequency important?

The Hydrogen 1S-2S transition frequency is important because it is one of the most precise and fundamental measurements in physics. It has been used to test the fundamental laws of physics, such as the laws of quantum mechanics and the constancy of the speed of light.

3. How is the Hydrogen 1S-2S transition frequency measured?

The Hydrogen 1S-2S transition frequency is measured using a technique called laser spectroscopy. A laser is used to excite the electron in a hydrogen atom from the ground state to the first excited state. The frequency of the laser is then adjusted until it matches the energy difference between the two states, resulting in resonance and a sharp peak in the laser's spectrum. This frequency is then recorded as the Hydrogen 1S-2S transition frequency.

4. What is the significance of the precision of the measurement of the Hydrogen 1S-2S transition frequency?

The precision of the measurement of the Hydrogen 1S-2S transition frequency is significant because it allows for more accurate tests of fundamental physical theories. It also serves as a benchmark for other precision measurements in physics, such as the measurement of the fine structure constant.

5. Has the value of the Hydrogen 1S-2S transition frequency changed over time?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that the value of the Hydrogen 1S-2S transition frequency has changed over time. However, scientists continue to improve the precision of the measurement in order to detect any potential changes that may occur in the future.