1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrogen Atom Matrix Elements Related to Transition Probability

1. Nov 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate the matrix element <U210|z|U100> where by |Unlm> we mean the hydrogen atom orbital with it's quantum numbers.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So where I'm getting stuck is on the integral, because the "U" portion of the wave function is given in terms of r and theta, whereas we are putting the z operator between these two U functions.

So we get ∫U210(z)U100dz

This is where I get stuck. I tried converting z to spherical coordinates, using z=r*cosθ, but then dz=cosθ dr - r*sinθdθ. Thus, when I integrate the radial portion, I still have θ unevaluated (still a variable) and vice versa. Then I tried converting r and θ to z and just integrating over dz. But when I put this integrand into Wolfram's online integral calculator, it seems too difficult to evaluate (and I wouldn't have any clue by hand).

I'm wondering, is this even the correct method in the first place? It is just confusing to me to evaluate a 3-D hydrogen atom only along z. Usually the text I uses doesn't give impossible integrals, so I suspect I am setting it up incorrectly.

To give some context, later in the problem, we are going to evaluate transition probabilities under perturbation theory, which also employs a z operator.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, use z = rcosθ and express everything in spherical coordinates. You will not need to use an expression for dz. You are integrating a volume integral, so make sure you express your volume element dV in spherical coordinates.

See here for example.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted