Hydrogen Excitation(s) and De-excitation(s)

• Thread starter mattmartindri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hydrogen
In summary, a sample of hydrogen atoms is bombarded by a low-energy electron beam (12.0eV) and it is possible for the electrons to be excited past the first excitation state (n=2) in a cascading manner. The energy difference between the first and second excited state is 10.2eV, which is less than the energy of the electron beam.
mattmartindri
Hydrogen Excitation(s) and De-excitation(s) via electron beam

Homework Statement

A sample of hydrogen atoms (i'm assuming singular, not molecular hydrogen) is bombarded by a low-energy electron beam (12.0eV).

My question is: with this group of atoms being bombarded, is it possible to excite the electron past the first excitation state (n=2) in a cascading sort of way? After an electron has made the jump to first excited state, could the excited atom(s) be again excited by a follwing electron?

Homework Equations

I'm not even sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

E1-2=-3.40eV - (-13.6eV) = 10.2eV

10.2eV < electron beam energy of 12.0eV

So, the atom can go to the first excited state...but, now I'm lost.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
never mind, I thought about it for about 3 more minutes and realized how fried I am from this past week.

1. What is hydrogen excitation?

Hydrogen excitation refers to the process in which the electrons in a hydrogen atom absorb energy and move to higher energy levels. This can occur through various means such as collisions with other particles or through absorption of photons.

2. How does hydrogen de-excitation occur?

Hydrogen de-excitation is the process in which an electron in a higher energy level of a hydrogen atom releases energy and moves to a lower energy level. This can happen spontaneously or through interactions with other particles.

3. What causes hydrogen excitation and de-excitation?

Hydrogen excitation and de-excitation are caused by interactions between the electrons in the atom and external energy sources, such as collisions with other particles or absorption/emission of photons. These interactions can change the energy levels of the electrons, leading to excitation or de-excitation.

4. How is hydrogen excitation and de-excitation important in astrophysics?

Hydrogen excitation and de-excitation play a crucial role in astrophysics as they are responsible for the emission and absorption of light in the form of spectral lines. By studying these spectral lines, scientists can learn about the composition, temperature, and other properties of celestial objects such as stars and galaxies.

5. Can hydrogen excitation and de-excitation be used for practical applications?

Yes, hydrogen excitation and de-excitation have practical applications in fields such as spectroscopy, plasma physics, and laser technology. For example, spectroscopy techniques use the emission and absorption of hydrogen spectral lines to identify elements and study their properties. In plasma physics, understanding hydrogen excitation and de-excitation is crucial for controlling and manipulating plasma in various applications. Additionally, hydrogen lasers use the excitation and de-excitation of hydrogen atoms to generate a coherent beam of light.