Hydrogen Excitation(s) and De-excitation(s)

  • Thread starter Thread starter mattmartindri
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hydrogen
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
mattmartindri
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hydrogen Excitation(s) and De-excitation(s) via electron beam

Homework Statement



A sample of hydrogen atoms (i'm assuming singular, not molecular hydrogen) is bombarded by a low-energy electron beam (12.0eV).

My question is: with this group of atoms being bombarded, is it possible to excite the electron past the first excitation state (n=2) in a cascading sort of way? After an electron has made the jump to first excited state, could the excited atom(s) be again excited by a follwing electron?

Homework Equations




I'm not even sure.


The Attempt at a Solution



E1-2=-3.40eV - (-13.6eV) = 10.2eV

10.2eV < electron beam energy of 12.0eV

So, the atom can go to the first excited state...but, now I'm lost.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
never mind, I thought about it for about 3 more minutes and realized how fried I am from this past week.