Explaining Hydrogen-Like Ions and Quantum Numbers for Li2+

In summary, a hydrogen like ion is an atom with only 1 electron. For a hydrogen-like ion, it is reasonable to use the relations \mu\approx{m_e} and {E_n}=-13.6\left(\frac{Z^2}{n^2}\right) because the electron's mass is much smaller than the nucleus's mass, making the reduced mass effectively equal to the electron's mass. The energies of the n=1 and n=2 states in Li2+ can be calculated using the equation {E_n}=-13.6\left(\frac{Z^2}{n^2}\right), where Z is the atomic number of Li2+.
8614smith

Homework Statement

(a) Explain the term Hydrogen like ion and determine the quantum numbers l,m for the Li2+ ion in the states for which n=1 and n=2.

(b) Explain why for a hydrogen-like ion it is reasonable to use the relations,
[tex]\mu\approx{m_e}[/tex], [tex]{E_n}=-13.6\left(\frac{Z^2}{n^2}\right)[/tex]

(c) What are the energies of the n=1 and n=2 states in Li2+ ?

Homework Equations

reduced mass

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) A hydrogen like ion is an atom with only 1 electron

(b)[tex]\frac{{M_N}{M_e}}{{M_N}+{M_e}}[/tex] I've then said that the [tex]M_e[/tex] term on the denominator is negligible and the [tex]M_N[/tex] terms will cancel.
This are from my notes but reading over them i don't understand it.

(c)I don't know how to do this, when i put n=1 and n=2 into the equation, using Z=1, i don't get the right answer. The correct answers are -122.4eV for n=1 and -30.6eV for n=2.

any hints??

Physics news on Phys.org
b) You have the answer already. The mass of the electron is so small compared to the mass of the nucleus that effectively you just have a particle orbiting an "infinite" mass (i.e. the nucleus won't be affected by the electron much).

c) Z=1 is for Hydrogen, not Li2+. Do you know what the Z stands for in that equation?

Matterwave said:
b) You have the answer already. The mass of the electron is so small compared to the mass of the nucleus that effectively you just have a particle orbiting an "infinite" mass (i.e. the nucleus won't be affected by the electron much).

c) Z=1 is for Hydrogen, not Li2+. Do you know what the Z stands for in that equation?

Ah yes stupid mistake, (c) is fine then, but (b) i still don't get, what does the reduced mass actually represent?

When you work with a reduced mass, you effectively reduce a system from 2 particles orbiting the center of mass to a system of 1 particle with the reduced mass orbiting the center of mass. This makes many calculations easier, since you don't have to deal with 2 particles all the time. For the system with one mass significantly more massive than the other mass, the center of mass is very close to the center of the massive object. So, in effect your system is already reduced to 1 particle with the "reduced mass=actual mass of the orbiting particle" orbiting around the center of mass.

Matterwave said:
When you work with a reduced mass, you effectively reduce a system from 2 particles orbiting the center of mass to a system of 1 particle with the reduced mass orbiting the center of mass. This makes many calculations easier, since you don't have to deal with 2 particles all the time. For the system with one mass significantly more massive than the other mass, the center of mass is very close to the center of the massive object. So, in effect your system is already reduced to 1 particle with the "reduced mass=actual mass of the orbiting particle" orbiting around the center of mass.

Ok thanks, that's cleared it up for me!

FAQ: Explaining Hydrogen-Like Ions and Quantum Numbers for Li2+

1. What is a hydrogen-like ion?

A hydrogen-like ion is an ion that has only one electron, similar to the hydrogen atom. It follows the same quantum mechanical principles as the hydrogen atom, making it a useful tool for studying ionization and atomic structure.

2. How do you calculate the quantum numbers for Li2+?

The quantum numbers for Li2+ can be calculated using the following formula: n = principal quantum number = 2, l = angular momentum quantum number = 0, ml = magnetic quantum number = 0, ms = spin quantum number = +1/2. This is based on the electronic configuration of Li2+ which is 1s22s1.

3. What is the significance of the principal quantum number in hydrogen-like ions?

The principal quantum number, denoted by the letter "n", represents the energy level of the electron in the hydrogen-like ion. It also determines the size and distance of the electron's orbit from the nucleus.

4. How does the angular momentum quantum number affect the energy of the electron in a hydrogen-like ion?

The angular momentum quantum number, denoted by the letter "l", affects the shape of the electron's orbit. It also plays a role in determining the energy of the electron, as higher values of l correspond to higher energy levels.

5. What is the purpose of the spin quantum number in hydrogen-like ions?

The spin quantum number, denoted by the letter "ms", describes the direction of the electron's spin. It is important for understanding the electron's magnetic properties and its behavior in an external magnetic field.

Back