Hydrogen partition function and degeneracy

In summary, the conversation discusses using the excitation law of Boltzmann and the ionisation law of Saha to calculate the percentage of ionised hydrogen and its energy state. Information about the temperature and energy levels is available, but the statistical weight and partition function for both neutral and ionised hydrogen are still needed. The degeneracy for neutral hydrogen is 2n^2, with n being the principal quantum number. The speaker also expresses a need for additional information or new findings.
Raezeman
So I'm trying to use the excitation law of Boltzmann and the ionisation law of Saha to calculate stuff about what percentage of a quantity of hydrogen in ionised and in what energy state. I have the temperature and energy levels values, so i still need the:
-statistical weight (degeneracy)
-partition function
for both neutral and ionised hydrogen. Where could i find these?

The degeneracy for neutral hydrogen is 2n^2 (n being the principal quantum number) if i am not mistaken?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

1. What is the hydrogen partition function?

The hydrogen partition function is a mathematical concept used in statistical mechanics to describe the distribution of energy levels in a system. It is a sum of the probabilities of all possible energy states of a hydrogen atom.

2. How is the hydrogen partition function calculated?

The hydrogen partition function is calculated using the Boltzmann distribution formula, which takes into account the energy levels and degeneracy of each state. The formula is Q = Σgie-Ei/kT, where Q is the partition function, gi is the degeneracy of the energy level i, Ei is the energy level, k is the Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature.

3. What is degeneracy in relation to the hydrogen partition function?

Degeneracy refers to the number of energy states that have the same energy level. In the context of the hydrogen partition function, it is used to determine the number of possible ways energy can be distributed among the energy levels in a system. It is an important factor in calculating the partition function.

4. Why is the hydrogen partition function important?

The hydrogen partition function is important because it allows scientists to calculate the thermodynamic properties of a system, such as the energy, heat capacity, and entropy. It is also used to determine the equilibrium distribution of energy among the energy levels in a system.

5. How does the hydrogen partition function relate to the thermodynamic properties of a system?

The hydrogen partition function is directly related to the thermodynamic properties of a system. It is used to calculate the average energy of the system, which is then used to determine other properties such as heat capacity and entropy. The partition function also determines the probability of a system being in a particular energy state, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of a system at a molecular level.