Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why Cannot I Factorize the Partition Function?

1. Apr 25, 2015 #1
    Hi everibody, the other day in a stadistical physics lesson we were studyng Fermi Dirac and Bose Einstein stadistics and comparing it to the classical Maxwell Boltzmann's.

We learnt that in the quantum stadistics for indistinguishable particles the partition function of the whole system couldn't be written as the multiplication of the partition function of all the single particles of the system as we used to do when we were working in the classical limit.

So, can please anybody tell me if there is a physical reason why I cant write the partition formulal for Bose Einstein's and Fermi Dirac's stadistic as ∏(zn)?

Thanks for reading.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The wavefunction has to be symmetric under exchange of two identical bosons, and antisymmetric under exchange of two identical fermions - otherwise you cannot reproduce the observed statistics. With a factorized partition function this does not work.

4. Apr 25, 2015 #3
    Thank you very much for your anwser.
    By the way, can you point me to a book where whis is treated?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  5. Apr 25, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

This should be covered in every book about quantum mechanics.

6. Apr 25, 2015 #5

DrDu

Science Advisor

However, while it is not possible to factorize the canonical partition function, it is possible to factorize the grand canonical partition function.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook