1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrogenic Atom emitting electron - probability of remaining in ground state

1. Sep 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi all - I've done all but the last part of this problem, for which I have the solution, but I was hoping someone could explain why the solution is what it is :)

q:The Hamiltonian of a quantum system suddenly changes by a finite amount. Show that the wavefunction must change continuously if the time-dependent Schrodinger equation is to be valid throughout the change.

Show that the ground-state wavefunction for a hydrogenic atom (a bound state of one electron and a nucleus of charge Ze, with Z a positive integer) takes the form

[tex]\psi_{0}(r) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi a^3}}exp(\frac{-r}{a})[/tex]

and determine the dependence of the constant a on Z. Such a hydrogenic atom is in its ground state. The nucleus emits an electron, suddenly changing to one with charge (Z + 1)e.
    Compute the probability that if the energy is now measured, the atom will still be found in its ground state.

Now it's just the red bit I'm stuck on - I've done the rest, but to save rewriting the formula every time you use it, you can just call it [tex]\psi_{0}(r,a)[/tex] if it's easier.

I have from the previous parts [tex]a=\frac{4 \pi \epsilon_{0} h^2}{z e^2 m}[/tex], where h is actually the 'h-bar' version of Planck's constant, but I'm not sure how to LaTeX that!

Now in the solution I have, the probability given is

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi a^3}}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi \tilde{a}^3}}}\int_0^{\infty} exp(-\frac{r}{a})exp(-\frac{r}{\tilde{a}})r^2\, dr \,sin(\theta)\,d\theta\,d\phi[/tex]

(possibly with some mod bars somewhere), the calculation of which is fairly simple - where '[tex]\tilde{a}[/tex]' is [tex]\frac{a z}{z+1}[/tex], i.e. the new value of 'a' you'd have if z was z+1 - which makes the integral

[tex]\int_0^{\infty} \psi_{0}(r,a)\psi_{0}(r,\tilde{a})r^2\, dr \,sin(\theta)\,d\theta\,d\phi[/tex] I believe.

Why is it this to begin with? It doesn't seem to be the standard 'probability is mod wavefunction squared' because there's one [tex]a[/tex] and one [tex]\tilde{a}[/tex] - can anyone explain?

One other thing, I'm not good with bra-ket notation(Dirac notation) so unless absolutely necessary words/other notation would be much more appreciated!

Thanks very much all :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's very simple; if a particle is known to be in the (normalized) state [itex]\psi_1(\textbf{r})[/itex] (In the position basis), Then the probability of measuring it in a different (normalized) state [itex]\psi_2(\textbf{r})[/itex] is defined as

[tex]P(\psi_2)=\int_{\text{all space}}\left|\psi_1(\textbf{r})\psi_2(\textbf{r})\right|dV[/tex]

In Bra-Ket notation, this is the same as [itex]P(\psi_2)=|\langle \psi_2|\psi_1\rangle|[/itex]. You should have a similar definition in your text.

Your wavefunctions are real-valued, so taking the norm of their product is trivial, and the volume integral is done in spherical coordinates.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook