Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrophilic polymer that sublimes in vacuum

1. Jul 24, 2008 #1
    I am trying to find a hydrophilic polymer that sublimes in vacuum (~ 10-7 torr).
    Can anyone help me or tell me where i could find one?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2008 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Polymer

What properties do you require of the polymer other than hydrophilic and semi-semi-volatile?

4. Jul 28, 2008 #3

Nothing else really, we don't need conductivity.
    To tell a little more, I need a polymer to make a thin film (~20 nm) as a barrier between a silver coating and an ionic liquid. (this is for a liquid mirror project)
    Polymer film is made by vacuum deposition, high temperature are obtained by ohmic heating.

-Silver coating has shown to make better bond with hydrophilic material (hence why hydrophilic polymer).
    -Polymer sublimation helps to make a better surface on the liquid, less irregularities.

Those are the 2 most important properties.

5. Aug 1, 2008 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

edit. Let me think about this some....

6. Aug 6, 2008 #5

I mixed things up, i am more looking for a small-molecule organic materials with said properties, this should be way easier to sublime.

7. Aug 6, 2008 #6

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You might try a parylene conformal coat followed by gold deposition and finally silver.

8. Aug 6, 2008 #7

Thanks, but why gold? We were actually going to try an aluminium or chromium deposition instead.

9. Aug 7, 2008 #8

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I was going for non-reactive. You had some concerns regarding the reactivity of silver with the (unspecified) ionic liquid. It's a belt and suspenders thing....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?