Hydrophilic polymer that sublimes in vacuum

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a hydrophilic polymer that can sublime in vacuum for a liquid mirror project. The polymer should also have semi-semi-volatile properties and be able to form a thin film as a barrier between a silver coating and an ionic liquid. The experts suggest using a small-molecule organic material or a parylene conformal coat followed by gold deposition and silver coating to prevent reactivity with the ionic liquid.
Aidie
I am trying to find a hydrophilic polymer that sublimes in vacuum (~ 10-7 torr).
Can anyone help me or tell me where i could find one?

Engineering news on Phys.org

What properties do you require of the polymer other than hydrophilic and semi-semi-volatile?

Nothing else really, we don't need conductivity.
To tell a little more, I need a polymer to make a thin film (~20 nm) as a barrier between a silver coating and an ionic liquid. (this is for a liquid mirror project)
Polymer film is made by vacuum deposition, high temperature are obtained by ohmic heating.

-Silver coating has shown to make better bond with hydrophilic material (hence why hydrophilic polymer).
-Polymer sublimation helps to make a better surface on the liquid, less irregularities.

Those are the 2 most important properties.

edit. Let me think about this some...

I mixed things up, i am more looking for a small-molecule organic materials with said properties, this should be way easier to sublime.

You might try a parylene conformal coat followed by gold deposition and finally silver.

Thanks, but why gold? We were actually going to try an aluminium or chromium deposition instead.

I was going for non-reactive. You had some concerns regarding the reactivity of silver with the (unspecified) ionic liquid. It's a belt and suspenders thing...

1. What is a hydrophilic polymer that sublimes in vacuum?

A hydrophilic polymer that sublimes in vacuum is a type of polymer that has a strong affinity for water and can transition from a solid to a gas state without going through a liquid phase when exposed to low pressure environments.

2. How is a hydrophilic polymer that sublimes in vacuum used in scientific research?

This type of polymer is commonly used in vacuum chambers to create a controlled environment for studying the behavior and properties of materials in low pressure conditions. It can also be used as a coating or film to protect sensitive materials from exposure to moisture during vacuum processes.

3. What are the advantages of using a hydrophilic polymer that sublimes in vacuum?

One major advantage is its ability to maintain a dry environment in vacuum chambers, which is crucial for many scientific experiments and processes. It also has a high water absorption capacity, making it useful for removing water vapor from the air in vacuum systems.

4. Are there any limitations to using a hydrophilic polymer that sublimes in vacuum?

One limitation is that it can only be used in vacuum environments, so it may not be suitable for all applications. Additionally, the sublimation process can be affected by factors such as temperature and pressure, so careful control is necessary for accurate results.

5. How is a hydrophilic polymer that sublimes in vacuum different from other types of polymers?

The main difference is its ability to transition directly from a solid to a gas state without going through a liquid phase, which is unique to this type of polymer. It also has a strong affinity for water, making it particularly useful for applications involving moisture control.