Hydrostatic Problem: Three tube Manometer

In summary, the conversation discusses a conceptual question about a reservoir filled with water connected to a "three-column manometer" with a valve at the end. The question is why the column closest to the valve (column 3) experiences a greater change in height compared to the column closest to the reservoir (column 1) when the valve is opened. The answer is that the pressure gradient from the reservoir to the valve causes the flow of water in the horizontal tube, which is observed by placing vertical columns along the tube.
Mokha75
Hi guys, new to the forum here.

I have of a conceptual question that I can't wrap my head around.

Here's the situation: there's a reservoir filled with water attached to a "three-column manometer" with each column open to the atmosphere. The horizontal tube that connects all three of the columns at the bottom, has a valve at the end. The valve is in the closed position and then opened to let the water run through.

What I would like to know is when we do this, for a given time period, why do see the water in the column closest to the valve (column 3 below) have a greater change in height as compared to the column closest to the reservoir (column 1)?

Hope I'm making sense

here's my lame attempt at drawing the apparatus:

(__Reservoir__)-------I--------------I-------------I--valve
Column 1 Column 2 Column 3

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the flow of matter from one side to another will occur due to a pressure difference between the reservoir and valve. The water in the horizontal tube experiences a pressure gradient from the reservoir to the valve, and that is what causes the flow in that direction.

At the same time, this pressure gradient can be observed by placing several vertical columns along the horizontal tube.

Thanks!

1. What is a three tube manometer?

A three tube manometer is a device used to measure the pressure of a fluid in a closed system. It consists of three connected tubes, one open to the atmosphere and two connected to the system being measured. The difference in fluid levels between the tubes is used to determine the pressure of the system.

2. How does a three tube manometer work?

The three tube manometer works on the principle of hydrostatics, which states that the pressure on a fluid at rest is the same at all points at the same height. The difference in fluid levels between the tubes is directly proportional to the pressure of the system being measured.

3. What are some common uses for a three tube manometer?

Three tube manometers are commonly used in HVAC systems, automotive engines, and industrial processes to measure pressure differentials. They are also used in laboratory experiments and in medical equipment.

4. How do you read a three tube manometer?

To read a three tube manometer, the difference in fluid levels between the tubes is measured using a ruler or scale. This measurement is then converted to pressure using a conversion factor. Some manometers may also have a pressure scale directly labeled on the device.

5. What are the advantages of using a three tube manometer?

Three tube manometers are simple, inexpensive, and accurate devices for measuring pressure. They can also measure both positive and negative pressure differentials. They are also versatile and can be used to measure a wide range of pressures in various systems.