Hyperbolic Cosine curve fitting

In summary, the task is to fit a curve using cosh to a hyperbola with a vertex at (0,0) and a point at (4,7). The given formula for a hyperbola at a vertex of (0,0) is y = a cosh(x/a) - a, where a is a constant that modifies the shape. The attempt at a solution involved plugging in the given values for x and y, but resulted in no integer solution. It was suggested to graph the function y = x cosh(4/x) - x - 7 and use that to find the right value of a, as there is probably no closed-form solution for this equation. The graphing method was successful
Denyven

Homework Statement

I need to fit a curve using cosh to a hyperbola with a vertex of (0,0) and a point at (4,7).

The scanned worksheet can be found here
http://img519.imageshack.us/i/scan0001gu.jpg/"
http://img192.imageshack.us/i/scan0002uz.jpg/"

Homework Equations

[tex]y=a cosh (\frac{x}{a})-a=\frac{a}{2}(e^{\frac{x}{a}}+e^{\frac{-x}{a}})-a[/tex] "is the formula for a hyperbola at a vertex of 0,0. a is a constant that modifies the shape" that is what the assignment said exactaly

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in 4 for x and 7 for y and attempted to solve algebraically, I just got stuck. then I plugged the equation I attempted to solve into wolfram alpha and got the response no integer solution.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=7%3D(a/2)(e^(4/a)%2Be^(-4/a))%2Ba+solve+for+a

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The solution value of a isn't an integer.

Try graphing the function

[tex]
y=x cosh (\frac{4}{x})-x-7
[/tex]

and use that to help you find the right value of a.

There is probably no closed-form solution, and besides, this formula doesn't describe a hyperbola, but a catenary.

hgfalling said:
The solution value of a isn't an integer.

Try graphing the function

[tex]
y=x cosh (\frac{4}{x})-x-7
[/tex]

and use that to help you find the right value of a.

Thanks so much for your help! I graphed that, and since you solved to equation for 0 then turned 0 into y I looked for the x intercept of the graph and the value fit, thank you so much!
But just for the sake of knowing, how can you guys tell if an equation has no closed form solution?

Last edited:

1. What is a hyperbolic cosine curve?

A hyperbolic cosine curve, also known as a cosh curve, is a mathematical function that describes the shape of a curve that resembles a "U" or "V" shape. It is defined by the equation y = cosh(x) = (e^x + e^-x)/2, where e is the base of the natural logarithm.

2. How is a hyperbolic cosine curve fitted to data?

To fit a hyperbolic cosine curve to data, a mathematical algorithm is used to adjust the parameters of the equation y = cosh(x) to best match the data points. This can be done manually or using software programs such as MATLAB or Python.

3. What types of data are suitable for hyperbolic cosine curve fitting?

Hyperbolic cosine curve fitting is often used for data sets that exhibit a "U" or "V" shape, such as data related to population growth, chemical reactions, or physical processes. It is also commonly used in statistics and data analysis to model and predict trends.

4. What are the advantages of using a hyperbolic cosine curve for data fitting?

One of the main advantages of using a hyperbolic cosine curve for data fitting is its ability to accurately model a wide range of data sets. It also has a simple and easily adjustable equation, making it a versatile tool for curve fitting. Additionally, the curve's shape is visually intuitive, making it easy to interpret and analyze the data.

5. Are there any limitations to using hyperbolic cosine curve fitting?

While hyperbolic cosine curve fitting is a powerful tool, it may not be suitable for all types of data. It is most effective for data sets that exhibit a "U" or "V" shape, so it may not accurately fit data with other types of patterns. Additionally, it may not be suitable for data sets with a large amount of noise or outliers, as this can impact the accuracy of the fit.